Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carole Brooking Carole Brooking is offline

Default click on an item in an index to go to that section in the doc

Hi

I just want to know how to have an index that I can click or use key strokes
on each seperate item to be sent directly to that relevant section in the
body of the document.

I know it isnt that difficult but I dont know what it is called to enable me
to use the help facility.

Any advice of guidance would be appreciated.

many thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Carole

Carole Brooking wrote:
I just want to know how to have an index that I can click or use key strokes
on each seperate item to be sent directly to that relevant section in the
body of the document.

I know it isnt that difficult but I dont know what it is called to enable me
to use the help facility.

I'm not aware of any features in current versions of Word offering a
hyperlinked INDEX. :-(

This has been discussed over the years in various forums. The big
difference between a hyperlinked TOC and INDEX is, the target for the
hyperlink is very clear and unique in case of the TOC. For an INDEX, the
target is either not unique or the number of bookmarks may raise
dramatically. The following thread points this out:

http://groups.google.ch/group/bit.li...5c885fa7985117

IOW, you'd have to code it yourself or use an existing 3rd party
solution. I remember MVP Steve Hudson advertising for his site with the
slogan: "Want a hyperlinked index?"

Nowadays, his site can be found at:

http://www.geocities.com/word_heretic/

HTH
Robert
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you can use a Table Of Contents, the page numbers are already
hyperlinked - otherwise you will have to add hyperlinks.