Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zane Lassiter Zane Lassiter is offline

Default How format inserted objects?

Used Insert / Object / Create from File to insert a visio object - a visio
file. In Word 2007, in a 2003 compatible doc, I click on the object and get
the rectangular border with corner and mid points for resizing. HOWEVER, I
cannot find any equivalency to Text Box Tools / Format, e.g. Object Tools /
Format, that would allow me to format - size, color, background,
transparency, positioning, etc. - the object. Only linked objects can be
formatted by source software?
--
Zane Lassiter
Haiku Master
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Zane,

If the object is linked, then it makes sense that any reformatting is done at the source; otherwise the linked object wouldn't be a
faithful representation of whatever it's linked to.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Zane Lassiter" wrote in message ...
Used Insert / Object / Create from File to insert a visio object - a visio
file. In Word 2007, in a 2003 compatible doc, I click on the object and get
the rectangular border with corner and mid points for resizing. HOWEVER, I
cannot find any equivalency to Text Box Tools / Format, e.g. Object Tools /
Format, that would allow me to format - size, color, background,
transparency, positioning, etc. - the object. Only linked objects can be
formatted by source software?
--
Zane Lassiter
Haiku Master

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zane Lassiter Zane Lassiter is offline

Dear macropod,
Agreed. My Word-inserted object is not linked. I'm pretty sure Word 2003
allowed me to work with an object in a similar fashion to an inserted picture
- select and move (drag), resize, position as relates to adjacent text, etc.
In Word 2007, I find no options, or tools, for any type formatting of
objects. Thanks.
--
Zane Lassiter
Haiku Master

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Zane,

Once you select the image, all the picture formatting tools are available - either via the Ribbon or by right-clicking the mouse.

--

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Zane Lassiter Zane Lassiter is offline

Hello macropod,
Selecting an OBJECT and right-clicking, I do get the "Format object" option.
I do not get any options in the ribbon. Selecting a PICTURE, I get "Picture
tools" in the ribbon. Is this the way Word 2007 works? The ribbon has no
so-called "Object tools"?
Thanks,
Zane

--
Zane Lassiter
Haiku Master

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Zane,

Yes, that's the way it works. I was using the 'object' term generically, as its description can change depending on the type of
object (eg autoshape, picture, Excel spreadsheet) you select.

--

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

facadebrief facadebrief is offline
Junior Member

Hi, I had the same problem. I wanted to resize and position the inserted object (in this case another word document that contains a picture with text and arrows that i need to keep changing/updated - hense why i find this function so useful). In 2003 i had no proble, now with 2007 - problem as decribed above and that the source object would get messed up, but the the object in the file I'm working on would not change.

I found that if i 'right-clicked - document object - convert - convert to - Microsoft Office Word Macro-Enabled Document' I would get some flexibility back with postioning and resizing without messing everything up.

see if that works for what you want.