Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Autocorrect strange problem (MSW 2003)

"Automatically use suggestions from the spelling checker" was (apparently) a
dead end, since it isn't relevant when you run spell check manually. My
mistake.

Strange behavior in Word is often the result of one or more poorly designed
add-ins, which is why it may be worth looking into the troubleshooter in the
Knowledge Base article. (To be clear, it also covers other topics than
add-ins.)

We probably won't get much further with this right now, but please post back
if you find additional symptoms/possible explanations. Good luck!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JPh12" wrote in message

'Stefan Blom[_3_ Wrote:
;494312']My point was simply that a manual spell check shouldn't change
anything on
its own (without manual intervention). Therefore, something else must be

going on.

I'm not familiar with the Writer Outliner add-in. What does it do? Are
you
sure that you disabled it properly? See the sections that discuss
add-ins in
the Knowledge Base article at
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541/en-us/
(How to troubleshoot problems that occur when you start or use Word).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

JPh12

The reason I believed something was changing while running the manual
spell checker is that I sometimes noticed a delay when autocorrecting. I
thought that could be when a spurious substitution was being performed
in the background all over the document. I know this sound strange. It's
hard to check because I work with large documents and don't know what's
being replaced -- I find out much later when correcting.

It's still not clear to me why you thought automatically_use_suggestions
was the culprit since, from what I can see, it's not active in manual
spell checking. Or did I miss something?

Writing Outliner is an application that adds an outline panel and
corkboard to Word. I used other add-ins over time and disabled them. I
don't see them on my Templates and add-ins manager so I assume they're
gone.

--
JPh12 [/i][/color]