Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mensplace mensplace is offline

Default Spellcheck vs. Tracking/Markup WORD2003

I have just completed writing a lengthy novel, but would like to run the
spelling and grammar check in WORD 2003. Apparently it has saved every change
for the past six months. I have NO interest in viewing or using all of the
many changes made over the past six months.

BUT do not want to dare to lose the final version. I believe that the
thousands of tracked changes have something to do with Markup or Tracking.

When running the spellcheck it seems to be showing every one of those
changes, NOT just working from just the final version. This is making my
efforts to check Spelling and grammar impossible. I ONLY want to use my FINAL
version.

Is there a simple way to simply delete the records or countless changes
without in any way impacting my final version that has taken the better part
of a year to write?

For that matter, I would prefer to never again see Marked-Up or Tracked
changes . I ONLY work with my final copy.

With the many changes being shown in Spelling and grammar checking it is
useless.

--
mensplace
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How did you manage to have Track Changes on for six months and never
notice that the Reviewing toolbar was up there with the others? (With
the dropdown window somehow set to showing Final instead of the
default, Final with Markup.)

Turn Track Changes off by clicking the bright icon at the Reviewing
toolbar's right end, or by doubleclicking the bold TRK at the bottom
of the document, or by pressing Ctrl-Shift-E.

On the Reviewing toolbar, click the tiny triangle next to the
checkmark button and select "Accept All Changes."

Save the document. (Its file size will become half or less what it was
before.)

Check your spelling.

On Jul 26, 10:38 am, mensplace (donotspam)
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you mean that you see red or green squiggly lines under words in your
document, those are not revisions marks. They are spelling or grammar alerts.

PamC

mensplace wrote:
DID all that was suggested. Still seeing tracked changes in spellchecking
How did you manage to have Track Changes on for six months and never
notice that the Reviewing toolbar was up there with the others? (With

[quoted text clipped - 40 lines]
--
mensplace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mensplace mensplace is offline

In Spelling and grammar check I am getting text displayed for spelling and
grammar that was long ago changed as I read, reread and edited changes as the
text in need of changing with suggested corrections that do not match the
final version
--
mensplace

mensplace wrote:
DID all that was suggested. Still seeing tracked changes in spellchecking
How did you manage to have Track Changes on for six months and never
notice that the Reviewing toolbar was up there with the others? (With

[quoted text clipped - 40 lines]
--
mensplace

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Were you using File=Versions? If so, that (now gone) Word feature was a bit flaky. It is possible that there is corruption in the
document.

If there are versions there, then after accepting changes try using
File=Save As to a new name to save only the final version.

If you're referring to grammar changes that you chose to 'ignore' previously, those can come back in subsequent reviews. If you're
seeing spelling issues where you added words to your custom dictionary, it's possible that the language applied to the text in your
document from
Tools=Language=Set Language
may have changed. You may also want to check your custom dictionary through
Tools=Options=Spelling & Grammar=[Custom Dictionaries]=[Modify]
to be sure they're okay and that they're either 'all language' or correct language specified word lists.

===========
"mensplace" (donotspam) wrote in message ...
In Spelling and grammar check I am getting text displayed for spelling and
grammar that was long ago changed as I read, reread and edited changes as the
text in need of changing with suggested corrections that do not match the
final version
--
mensplace
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mensplace mensplace is offline

File Versions does not show any other versions. If I look at the marked up
copy all of the changes are still there even after turning off tracking and
doing the suggested accept all and save. I would love to simply delete the
marked up or tracked information.

If I look at the final version it is fine, but I do need to run a final
spelling and grammar check. When I run spellcheck the top screen that is
supposed to show the existing text includes a fragment of the text with every
changed word or bit of puctuation ever used. What is showing in spell check
does not reflect the actual content of the final version, so it is incredibly
difficult to identify what it is addressing. Often, since it includes every
past word or phrase change the fragment posted at the top of spellcheck is
far lengthier and wordier. How do I get spellcheck to actually use ONLY that
which is in the final document?

If it actually used the final documents material and not including every
past word, punctuation or grammar change, then it would be very easy to look
at the fragment it has selected versus that which I have in the final
document to decide upon changes.

--
mensplace

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See what results you get with these steps.

1. With your document open use File=Save As and choose a new file name so you'll have a spare copy to work with. It's possible that
the document is corrupted or that the template attached to it is.

2. Use File=Save As and save to a new name using either the .xml file type.

3. Close Word.

4. From Start=Search, locate all files found searching for
~$*.*;*.tmp
and send them to the recycle bin.

5. Restart Word while holding the ctrl key (that eliminates any addins from being loaded).

6. Open the new copy of the document and use
View=Toolbars=Review
and turn on 'the 'Original showing Markup display' and check on that toolbar
Show=Options
to see if all change types are marked to be displayed.

7. Turn on Show=Options=Reviewing Pane.

Do either of the documents saved in step 1 & 2 show any marked changes in that display mode or in Final Showing Markup?

8. Use Tools=Options=Spelling & Grammar. Does the button near the bottom of that document show 'Check Document' or different
wording?