Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
joeljkp joeljkp is offline

Default Figure overrides spacing above and below

Hi all,

I'm working on a research paper in Word 2007. I have a requirement that
figures be placed with a blank line between them and their captions below.

I've tried implementing this by putting each figure in a Figure style, with
11-pt spacing above and below. The figures are placed inline with the text,
as characters.

What I'm seeing though is for some of my figures, the actual graphic is
overrunning the space Word is giving it. It's eating up all the space below,
running up against the caption, and if I take out the spacing altogether, it
is cutting off the bottom part of the image.

If I click it to view the graphics handles, the image is being cut off by
the caption text, but the graphics handles are extending below the caption.

Does anyone have any idea here?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Joel,

So you're saying that each figure is in its own paragraph and you're using a paragraph style? Have you looked at modifying the
Caption style to have the space before?

Are these graphics added through Insert=Picture?

Is the paragraph style for Figure set up to use the Caption paragraph style for the following paragraph?

=============
"joeljkp" wrote in message ...
Yes, Single line spacing.

- Joel
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_210_] Henk57[_210_] is offline

Bob Buckland ?:-\);2764169 Wrote:
Hi Joel,

So you're saying that each figure is in its own paragraph and you're
using a paragraph style? Have you looked at modifying the
Caption style to have the space before?

Are these graphics added through Insert=Picture?

Is the paragraph style for Figure set up to use the Caption paragraph
style for the following paragraph?

=============
"joeljkp" wrote in message
Yes, Single line spacing.

- Joel
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Joel, first it's best to use a separate style for your captions as Bob
implicitly pointed at. Cld it be you have yr caption as part of the
Figure style? Set yr Figure Style as Keep with next, so the caption is
always connected to the figure, ie never on a separate page. Define the
Figure style with the appropriate Space Before and Space After settings.
Further, make sure to tick "add to template" after applying the
settings, otherwise Word will not remember it the next time you open
the document. HTH - Henk

--
Henk57