Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ppdj ppdj is offline

Default Normal.dotm problem

I don't know why but for some reason, my Normal.dotm template is corrupted.
Now, how can I reinstall it? Is there like a downloadable link from Microsoft
to replace the corrupted template? I need to do my homework, but I can't
until it's fixed.
Please Help Me Out
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello PPDJ

ppdj wrote:
I don't know why but for some reason, my Normal.dotm template is corrupted.

how did you get to that assumption?

Now, how can I reinstall it? Is there like a downloadable link from Microsoft
to replace the corrupted template? I need to do my homework, but I can't
until it's fixed.

Close Word, then rename the existing Normal.dotm to something else
(Normal.old, for instance). Word will recreate a factory-new global
template next time you start Word.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ppdj ppdj is offline

Actually, I reached that assumption after I found out that I could not put
cover page for my report and the page number function is not working. It just
says "Save Selection as Page Number". After chatting with a Microsoft Office
tech assistant, I reached to that conclusion, as he said. But he could not
provide me any solution since I didn't want to pay $15 for help on this small
issue. I thought if I could replace the corrupted Normal.dotm with a fresh,
new one, then I would not have any problem. But so far I could not find any
link to download a Normal.dotm file. I somehow managed to finish the report
for now with my Office 2003 in my desktop. But for my laptop, I'm still
uncertain about how to fix the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello PPDJ

ppdj wrote:
I don't know why but for some reason, my Normal.dotm template is corrupted.

how did you get to that assumption?

Now, how can I reinstall it? Is there like a downloadable link from Microsoft
to replace the corrupted template? I need to do my homework, but I can't
until it's fixed.

Close Word, then rename the existing Normal.dotm to something else
(Normal.old, for instance). Word will recreate a factory-new global
template next time you start Word.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Robert told you how to replace the normal template - you delete or
preferably rename the old one and Word will create another.

See http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm.

ppdj wrote:
Actually, I reached that assumption after I found out that I could
not put cover page for my report and the page number function is not
working. It just says "Save Selection as Page Number". After chatting
with a Microsoft Office tech assistant, I reached to that conclusion,
as he said. But he could not provide me any solution since I didn't
want to pay $15 for help on this small issue. I thought if I could
replace the corrupted Normal.dotm with a fresh, new one, then I would
not have any problem. But so far I could not find any link to
download a Normal.dotm file. I somehow managed to finish the report
for now with my Office 2003 in my desktop. But for my laptop, I'm
still uncertain about how to fix the problem.

Any help will be appreciated.
Thanks

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hello PPDJ

ppdj wrote:
I don't know why but for some reason, my Normal.dotm template is
corrupted.

how did you get to that assumption?

Now, how can I reinstall it? Is there like a downloadable link from
Microsoft to replace the corrupted template? I need to do my
homework, but I can't until it's fixed.

Close Word, then rename the existing Normal.dotm to something else
(Normal.old, for instance). Word will recreate a factory-new global
template next time you start Word.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
X Against HTML | for | with Word?

Normal.dotm andrswal Microsoft Word Help 2 May 30th 08 03:21 PM
Normal.dotm dslocum[_9_] Microsoft Word Help 2 May 3rd 08 06:17 AM
Normal.dotm Sinclair Microsoft Word Help 10 January 8th 08 07:38 PM
Normal.dotm Rick Microsoft Word Help 1 August 30th 07 06:45 AM
Convert normal.dot in W2000 to normal.dotm in W2007 Why did I update Microsoft Word Help 3 August 8th 07 09:42 PM