Peyton Todd

Default Trying to make numbering work...

- note: I posted this just a while ago, but it didn't appear - apologies if
this is a repeat-
Hello. I have a problem which is driving me nuts. I posted this problem
about 10 days ago, and Suzanne Barnhill was extremely helpful to me and
taught me a lot. (If you're reading this, Suzanne, thank you thank you! Do
you MVPs really do all this for free?)
Here's my problem. I'm a linguist, and articles in my field all example
sentences have numbers beside them in parentheses, e.g. (1). And references
to them in the text look like that, too, e.g., 'as we can tell from sentence
(1),...'. I need those references to update automatically (by pressing F9)
when an extra example sentence is stuffed in somewhere. The way I'm doing it
is Insert|Field|Listnum with (none) chosen for Field properties. And I insert
my references by Insert|Reference|Cross-reference|Numbered item (with
reference to as 'Paragraph (no context)'). This works great. I get my
parentheses just like I want 'em. But I only managed get to work by blindly
banging at Word long ago until I finally lucked out. And I have determined
that all the information to make it work in contained in a paragraph marker
('pilcrow') which I have placed at the top of the document. Yes, it
definitelyis. If I remove it, all my numbers switch to i), ii), iii), iv),
etc. immediately. If I stuff it back in, everything is (1), (2), (3), etc.
just like I want it. And whenever I want to write a new paper, I just copy in
that pilcrow from a previous document.
But now here's where the trouble comes in. I want my headings to appear in
the Document Map. In fact, it looks like they have to be actual Microsoft
Word Built-in headings or else based on them, since my ultimate goal is a PDF
and that's what they let you choose from. Anyway, as soon as I put in a
heading anywhere, or add a style like Suzanne taught me, and give it an
outline level, or even just select a heading I've typed into the body of the
document, and go to Format|Paragraph on the menu and specify the outline
level there... boom! all the utterance numbers after it jump to i), ii),
iii), etc. I find I can take my magic pilcrow and stuff it after the
offending newly added heading, and it seems to fix things, but that's a big
nuisance to have to do after every heading. I BELIEVE I've been able to base
new headings on that and they work, but I find that my magic pilcrow is based
on heading 3, and I need multiple outline levels, not all the same. If I try
my to switch my pilcrow, say, from outline level 3 to outline level 2, woops!
Now suddenly all my number go to i), ii), iii) again! Arghh!

--
Peyton Todd
510-843-1568

You have posted this separately to two NGs, neither of them the most
appropriate (which would be microsoft.public.word.numbering). I've sent an
SOS to another MVP for an answer to your question in word.pagelayout, so
perhaps we can close this thread. This is currently the highest-traffic Word
NG, and many MVPs avoid it for that reason.

"Peyton Todd" wrote in message
[...]

Peyton Todd

Sorry, but I'm a little confused. I assume this means you're waiting for the
other MVP's answer. But if we're closing this thread, where do I go to look
for the answer? I don't even know how to get to
microsoft.public.word.numbering - it's not among the choices in the dropdown
box....
Peyton

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Peyton Todd

Oh, I get it. You mean the my question in word.pagelayout, not an MVP in
word.pagelayout. I still don't know how to go to
microsoft.public.word.numbering. In fact, word.docmanagement doesn't appear
in my dropdown box, either!
-Peyton

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

microsoft.public.word.docmanagement is the real name of this "General
Questions" newsgroup. You can get to microsoft.public.word.numbering through
either of the following links:

http://communities2.microsoft.com/co...s/default.aspx

FWIW, the other MVP I asked to consider your question said it made her head
hurt, too, but she may be able to look at it after work (she's on the other
side of the world, though). But if you post in the numbering NG, you'll
attract the attention of the MVPs (and others) who specialize in numbering.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You have posted this separately to two NGs, neither of them the most
appropriate (which would be microsoft.public.word.numbering). I've sent

an
SOS to another MVP for an answer to your question in word.pagelayout, so
perhaps we can close this thread. This is currently the highest-traffic

Word
NG, and many MVPs avoid it for that reason.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

It made my head hurt too (but I'm *not* the numbering guru Suzanne sent the
SOS to). So I made a stab at rewriting the question into something less
painful, on the .pagelayout thread.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/