Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LinusF

Default Converting .doc to a graphical format

How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office 2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless I
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC. The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost. Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JASil

Have you considered copying your letter, then inserting the text in an image
box, such as a rectangle? The box, with the text, will then be a graphical
image you can copy to Paint or another graphics program.

JASil

"LinusF" wrote:

How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office 2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless I
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC. The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LinusF

I am unable to generate an empty image box. Am I having a moment?
I thought I had a solution using the Office Document printer, but would you
believe that it kicks out all the .TIF files you want --- so long as they are
B&W? That is a severely dumb move, IMHO. Reminds me of Ford who famously
said people could buy Model Ts in any color they wanted --- so long as they
are black.
Still looking.

"LinusF" wrote:

How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office 2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless I
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC. The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost. Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Linus,

The MS Office Document Printer can create two formats, MDI and Fax-TIFs. The TIFs are greyscale with fax machine resolution. When
you use File=Print in Word and choose the Document Imaging Printer, check the [Properties] button to see which file type is
selected.

If you choose the MDI option and then have it open in MS Office 2003 Document Imaging (check the '[x] View Document Image' box when
you name the file from the Document Printer, you can then use File=Save As and choose TIF and use the [Options] button to save in
color. (Using JPG compression rather than LZW can give you smaller files, but some graphics programs can't reopen the JPG-compressed
TIFs).

As another option you may want to install one of the Print to PDF utilities available, such as http://cutepdf.com or one of the
print to graphics drivers such as
http://www.print-driver.com/howto/co...nt_to_jpeg.htm
or
http://www.eprintdriver.com/to_pdf/M...to-PDF-ex.html
or use an addin for Word such as
http://www.eplumsoft.com/oc1.shtml

========
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LinusF

Okay. Success but not quite as straightforwardly (?) as described. My
system did not give me any SAVE AS option other than TIF or MDI and the TIF
is coded in such a way that PAINT and Photoshop refused to open it.
Fortunately that wonderful IrfanView opened it and allowed me to SAVE AS into
my choice of standard formats. Why not just make a color or B&W option in
Office Document? Thanks a bunch.

"LinusF" wrote in message ...
I am unable to generate an empty image box. Am I having a moment?
I thought I had a solution using the Office Document printer, but would you
believe that it kicks out all the .TIF files you want --- so long as they are
B&W? That is a severely dumb move, IMHO. Reminds me of Ford who famously
said people could buy Model Ts in any color they wanted --- so long as they
are black.
Still looking.
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Wouldn't it be just as easy to download PrimoPDF and convert them to a .PDF
file?

(And why can't they view a .doc? There's a free Word Viewer available.)
--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"LinusF" wrote in message
How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office 2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas
letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless I
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither
Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC. The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LinusF

PDF is not a graphical format from the perspective of Adobe. There are
actually tough issues in going from PDF to a Photoshop useable file format.
Makes one feel sort of good when Microsoft isn't the only one with wierd ways
of looking at things. You begin to appreciate Hijaack and Irfanview big
time.

"LinusF" wrote in message
How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office 2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas
letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless I
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither
Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC. The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Now wait, I'm confused. (And that's not difficult to do lately.)

I thought the purpose was so that others can read your letter? If not, what
is the end purpose?

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"LinusF" wrote in message
How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office
2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas
letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither
Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC.
The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
LinusF

Assumptions, assumptions. The purpose is, obviously, to make the Christmas
Letters available. BUT in an imagery database. Hence the interest in
imagery formats because imagery database display applications do not
recognise DOC as an imagery format (nor do they look at PDF in that manner).
It is curious to me that Office, which is very capable in handling tables
and images and leads much of the market in XMLincorporation, would not
understand that it should make its products more easily available in imagery
formats. Text is so 20th Century; XML & tagging make specific formats
issues of choice, yes? Is DOC still just a text format? Ah well. I have my
solution. Thanks all.

"LinusF" wrote in message
How does one go about converting files in .doc format (I have Office
2003,
WinXP + Photoshop, Irfanview, etc)? I have a collection of Christmas
letters
from others in the family but mine cannot be displayed with them unless
print them out and scan them. There must be another way! FYI neither
Word
apparently has no bitmapped output and Paint does not recognize DOC.
The
various net-centric Word outputs indicate that formating will be lost.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

What you need is SnagIt - www.techsmith.com - which among other things adds
a 'printer' driver to Windows and enables documents (from Word or any other
application) to be output in any graphical format you like. Multi page
documents are output as separate documents for each page. There is a trial
available.