Mike

Default How do I include a document by reference between multiple document

I work with programming documentation and need to be able to single-source
common information that I can include in various Word documents within a
fixed directory structure (though the location of the root node might
change). I tried to insert the common file as a link into multiple documents.
All worked fine until I moved the whole directory to another location on the
drive. This problem gets even worse when using Source Safe to store the
documents. Unless every user who checks out the documents uses the exact same
location, the links all break.

How do I specify a relative pathname when inserting a doc as a link? For
some reason, I am unable to specify a path name that does not start with the
drive letter. Common sense would indicate that if I specifiy a path without a
drive letter, it would start from my current directory. Unfortunately, I
cannot enter a path like "functions\get_directory.doc".

Any suggestions?

Thanx,
Mike Heavin

Charles Kenyon

Look into AutoText in a global template and AutoText fields. This would let
you keep your common information in a single template. See
http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for step-by-step instructions
on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up customizations including
AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments, toolbars, macros, etc.

Otherwise, as you've seen, the IncludeText field breaks when you move files
around.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.