Jeff

Default IncludeText fields

Word 2000, Windowx XP sp2

I am trying to use the INCLUDETEXT feature to load document headers and
paragraphs into a few hundred documents. Unfortunately, when I insert the
INCLUDETEXT code and try to set the link to automatically update, the
options are grayed out!!! If I go into the main document (not the source),
and go to "Edit Links", I can see the included file path at the top. When
I select it, the two options at the bottom nexst to Update, "Automatic" and
"Manual" are both not available. I have tried using the 'Insert File'
feature as well.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the INCLUDETEXT field to update
when the document is opened?

Thanks!

Jeff

Charles Kenyon

You can do it with a macro or two, but consider, instead using AutoText
(possibly from a global template) instead of IncludeText. If, on the other
hand, you want documents you prepare and save to not change on you when your
custom material changes, consider either locking the fields upon document
finalization or using macros to actually insert your text when the document
is created.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Jeff" wrote in message
Word 2000, Windowx XP sp2

I am trying to use the INCLUDETEXT feature to load document headers and
paragraphs into a few hundred documents. Unfortunately, when I insert the
INCLUDETEXT code and try to set the link to automatically update, the
options are grayed out!!! If I go into the main document (not the
source), and go to "Edit Links", I can see the included file path at the
top. When I select it, the two options at the bottom nexst to Update,
"Automatic" and "Manual" are both not available. I have tried using the
'Insert File' feature as well.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the INCLUDETEXT field to
update when the document is opened?

Thanks!

Jeff

Jeff

Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think AutoText will cut it as I am
information. This would all be very simple to do if MS Word worked
correctly, I cannot believe that all of the documentation/help says to do
this, but Word doesn't allow you to.

I do need the information to be dynamic and change whenever I change the
master file.

"Charles Kenyon" wrote in
message ...

"Jeff" wrote in message
Word 2000, Windowx XP sp2

I am trying to use the INCLUDETEXT feature to load document headers and
paragraphs into a few hundred documents. Unfortunately, when I insert
the INCLUDETEXT code and try to set the link to automatically update, the
options are grayed out!!! If I go into the main document (not the
source), and go to "Edit Links", I can see the included file path at
the top. When I select it, the two options at the bottom nexst to
Update, "Automatic" and "Manual" are both not available. I have tried
using the 'Insert File' feature as well.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the INCLUDETEXT field to
update when the document is opened?

Thanks!

Jeff

Charles Kenyon

You can put the company logo and other company information into AutoText in
a global template and use AutoText fields to pull it into documents
(templates). You would still probably need one or more AutoOpen macros to
update these fields. See http://addbalance.com/word/movetotemplate.htm for
step-by-step instructions on moving / sharing / copying / backing-up
customizations including AutoText, AutoCorrect, keyboard assignments,
toolbars, macros, etc.

I still suspect you are using documents when you should be using templates.
--

"Jeff" wrote in message
Thanks for the suggestion. I don't think AutoText will cut it as I am
company information. This would all be very simple to do if MS Word

"Jeff" wrote in message
Word 2000, Windowx XP sp2

I am trying to use the INCLUDETEXT feature to load document headers and
paragraphs into a few hundred documents. Unfortunately, when I insert
the INCLUDETEXT code and try to set the link to automatically update,
the options are grayed out!!! If I go into the main document (not the
source), and go to "Edit Links", I can see the included file path at
the top. When I select it, the two options at the bottom nexst to
Update, "Automatic" and "Manual" are both not available. I have tried
using the 'Insert File' feature as well.

Anyone have any suggestions of how I can get the INCLUDETEXT field to
update when the document is opened?

Thanks!

Jeff

Charles Kenyon

The following macro updates all REF fields in a document, including those in
headers/footers. You could change it to instead do IncludeText fields and
name it AutoOpen. Put it in the templates that are the bases for your
documents.

Sub RefFieldUpdateAllStory()
' Written by Charles Kyle Kenyon 15 November 2001
' repaired by Jezebel
' All Story Field Updater - Ref fields
Dim oField As Field
Dim oStory As Range
' On Error Resume Next
For Each oStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges
' This goes into headers and footers as well as the regular document
Do
For Each oField In oStory.Fields
If oField.Type = wdFieldRef Then
oField.Update