Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bud I.

Default Deleted endnote refuses to abdicate

I deleted an endnote and inserted it in the preceding paragraph. There
no longer is a number indicating the location of the deleted endnote in
the body of the document. However, when I search through the document
for endnotes, the system always stops at the 'disposed' note. In the end
note section, that number is skipped. If I GoTo that invisible endnote
and delete it, the next character in the body of the document is eliminated.

I have manually re-inserted the note in the body and endnote section,
but I have to manually correct it if I add or delete a real one.

If the description of this problem is confusing, it might be because I
am confused.

- bud -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bud I.

This is a document I am editing. The original document did track
changes. That feature was disabled when I deleted (?) the endnote.

I just did a test with a few pages from the edited document by adding
some garbage comments with the track changes disabled. If I then display
"Final with Markup," the markup from the original doc shows, but there
are no markups from the latest changes.

- bud -

"Bud I." wrote in message

I deleted an endnote and inserted it in the preceding paragraph. There
no longer is a number indicating the location of the deleted endnote in
the body of the document. However, when I search through the document
for endnotes, the system always stops at the 'disposed' note. In the end
note section, that number is skipped. If I GoTo that invisible endnote
and delete it, the next character in the body of the document is

eliminated.

I have manually re-inserted the note in the body and endnote section,
but I have to manually correct it if I add or delete a real one.

If the description of this problem is confusing, it might be because I
am confused.

- bud -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bud I.

Ref:
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...and%20Endnotes

I just found a possible description of my problem in the above reference
quoted below:
Warning When deleting a footnote, you must delete the footnote
reference mark within the document. If you delete the text and the
number from the footnote pane or from the page in Page Layout/Print
Layout view, it does not delete the number within the text itself. If
you do this, and then add a new footnote to the document, your numbering
will be off by one. Word still thinks the deleted footnote is still
active. You can correct this by going to the original reference mark in
the document and deleting it.
It's quite possible this is what I did. Unfortunately, the number
representing the endnote is no longer there. Using Find and Replace
GoTo Endnotes +, takes me to the trouble spot. Neither a backspace
nor a delete at that time removes the system's memory of that invisible,
mischievous endnote.

- bud -

"Bud I." wrote in message

I deleted an endnote and inserted it in the preceding paragraph. There
no longer is a number indicating the location of the deleted endnote in
the body of the document. However, when I search through the document
for endnotes, the system always stops at the 'disposed' note. In the end
note section, that number is skipped. If I GoTo that invisible endnote
and delete it, the next character in the body of the document is

eliminated.

I have manually re-inserted the note in the body and endnote section,
but I have to manually correct it if I add or delete a real one.

If the description of this problem is confusing, it might be because I
am confused.

- bud -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Perhaps it is formatted as Hidden? Display Hidden text to check on this.

"Bud I." wrote in message
newsWbhf.354841$084.343162@attbi_s22...
Ref:

http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide...20and%20Endnot

"Bud I." wrote in message

I deleted an endnote and inserted it in the preceding paragraph. There
no longer is a number indicating the location of the deleted endnote

in
the body of the document. However, when I search through the document
for endnotes, the system always stops at the 'disposed' note. In the

end
note section, that number is skipped. If I GoTo that invisible endnote
and delete it, the next character in the body of the document is

eliminated.

I have manually re-inserted the note in the body and endnote section,
but I have to manually correct it if I add or delete a real one.

If the description of this problem is confusing, it might be because I
am confused.

- bud -

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bud I.

Clicking on the Hide/Show button on the Standard Toolbar, didn't display
anything. The other endnotes had small gray boxes around them, but there
was nothing there. I inserted an endnote at the same place. The expected
number was inserted, but the next number was skipped. Deleting the new
endnote had no effect on the persistent, non-existent one. I also
enabled the include hidden text in the Print tab on Options menu to no
avail.

Perhaps it is formatted as Hidden? Display Hidden text to check on this.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bud I.

I "LUCKED OUT." Displaying Markups showed the deleted (sic) endnote. I
then deleted the markup and all is well.

I thank everyone for their assistance.

- bud -