ilyaz

Default Language bar problem

I have MS Word 2002 installed on my Windows XP Home SP2. I use switch
between English and Cyrillic keyboards, which worked fine for some time in
all applications - Word, Outlook Express, etc.. However, recently, the
switch (Left Alt+Shift) stopped to work in Word, although it continue to
work in all other applications. In Word, I still can switch between
keyboards manually, by clicking on a language icon and choosing language.
How can I restore the switch in Word?

--

Ilya Zeldes
Fort Myers, Florida

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ilyaz,

If you go into Tools/Customize, click on Keyboard, click in the "press key
combination" box, then use the language switching keyboard shortcut that's
not working in Word...

Do you see [unassigned] below the box, or has it been assigned to a command?

If it's been assigned to something in Word, Find that something in the lists
at the top. Click on the entry. ou should see the keyboard combination in
the list at the mid-left. Click on that, then click "Remove".

I have MS Word 2002 installed on my Windows XP Home SP2. I use switch
between English and Cyrillic keyboards, which worked fine for some time in
all applications - Word, Outlook Express, etc.. However, recently, the
switch (Left Alt+Shift) stopped to work in Word, although it continue to
work in all other applications. In Word, I still can switch between
keyboards manually, by clicking on a language icon and choosing language.
How can I restore the switch in Word?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

ilyaz

Cindy,
thanks a lot for your suggestion. I followed your instructions. Clicking in
press new shortcut key produced nothing. I looked through many of the key
combinations there, but found no Left Shift+Alt, which I use to toggle.
Moreover, I was unable to find the toggle in the list of Commands. In the
Categories, there is Tools, and in the Commands, there is ToolsLanguage.
Description of this combination says Changes the language formatting of the
selected characters, but there is no key combination assigned and pressing
my combination produces nothing. What do I do now? Your assistance is
appreciated.
Ilya

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ilyaz,

Clicking in
press new shortcut key produced nothing.

If there wasn't any previous assignment, here, then I don't
know what may be blocking the shortcut on your system.
Sorry.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

Did you actually press Left Shift+Alt in the press new shortcut key box?
If I press Alt+Shift+Left Arrow (which is how I interpret your combination),
I see OutlinePromote as the command to which this is assigned.

I see you originally said Left Alt+Shift, which is something different. For
this you will not see anything because Alt and Shift are merely combination
keys; without the addition of any other keys, they should not accomplish
anything.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

or

ilyaz

Suzanne,
finally I got you involved ;-))
The Left Alt+Shift is a toggle, which is set up in the Control Panel
Regional and Language Options. This means that the Alt and Shift keys on the
left side of a keyboard are used to toggle between two languages. As I
mentioned it in my previous post, nothing happens when I press this Left
Shift+Alt combination in the Word Tools Customize Keyboard Press
new.... In this window, I tried many other combinations with Alt+ and Ctrl+
something. All work fine. But I'm limited to this toggle Left Shift+Alt
set up in the Control Panel... Looks like catch 22 to me. Moreover, in the
Commands, there is a combination Alt+X for ToggleCharacterCpde. But it
didn't work either...
Regards, Ilya

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Did you actually press Left Shift+Alt in the press new shortcut key box?
If I press Alt+Shift+Left Arrow (which is how I interpret your
combination),
I see OutlinePromote as the command to which this is assigned.

I see you originally said Left Alt+Shift, which is something different.
For
this you will not see anything because Alt and Shift are merely
combination
keys; without the addition of any other keys, they should not accomplish
anything.

so
all may benefit.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

Apparently you have the choice of using Ctrl+Shift instead of Left Alt+Shift
to toggle languages.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

According to Word's Help:

Switch keyboard layouts

Do one of the following:

* If the Language bar is visible

On the Language bar, click the keyboard layout indicator [icon], and then
click the layout you want. The letters on the indicator change to reflect
the language of the keyboard.

* If the Language bar is not visible

On the Microsoft Windows taskbar, click the keyboard layout indicator

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

ilyaz

Suzanne,
the Language bar is visible and when I work in the Word, I click the
keyboard layout icon and then click on the layout I want. I call it a manual
switch and this is the only way I can toggle in Word. In all other
applications, the "automatic" toggle Left Shift+Alt works... What bothers
me is why this toggle works in other applications, but does not work in
Word? How to make it "universal"? That is the question...

"ilyaz" wrote in message
[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ilyaz,

In all other
applications, the "automatic" toggle Left Shift+Alt works... What bothers
me is why this toggle works in other applications, but does not work in
Word?

FWIW, it works here - only all too well. I keep turning it off in Windows, but
something like to keep turning it back on...

have you tried changing the shortcut in Windows to something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

ilyaz

Cindy,
what "shortcut in Windows" do you have in mind? The toggle icon (EN or RU)
sits in the taskbar. I didn't change it.

Hi Ilyaz,

In all other
applications, the "automatic" toggle Left Shift+Alt works... What
bothers
me is why this toggle works in other applications, but does not work in
Word?

FWIW, it works here - only all too well. I keep turning it off in Windows,
but
something like to keep turning it back on...

have you tried changing the shortcut in Windows to something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Another way - as many Russian-speaking people do (and me) - just follow
MS advice and DISable Language Bar - now we switch - in all programs-
with one (handy!) button - right Ctrl:

http:// RusWin.net/LangBar.htm

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky

ilyaz

Paul,
you probably do not remember, but a few years ago, when I was running
Windows 98 or 95, you suggested RusLat and guided me through the procedure.
It worked fine then. However, eventually I run into some problems using this
code and switching from Word to Publisher and some other programs.
Now I have Win XP Home SP2, Word 2002 SP3, Office XP 2002 Prof, Publisher
2003 and MS Proofing Tools installed on my machine. After the last
installation (MS Proofing Tools 2003), the toggle of Language Bar worked
just fine in all programs, including Word, Publisher, Outlook Express, etc.
Then, at some point, something happened and the toggle stopped in Word, but
continue to work fine in all other programs. I tried to "Turn off advanced
text services", but it didn't help with the toggle. I hope there is a fix
for this toggle (chort vozmi, on zhe rabotal snachala!) and you may help me.
I looked on your web site, but could not find the solution...
Regards,
Ilya

wrote in message
oups.com...
Another way - as many Russian-speaking people do (and me) - just follow
MS advice and DISable Language Bar - now we switch - in all programs-
with one (handy!) button - right Ctrl:

http:// RusWin.net/LangBar.htm

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky
"Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
http://RusWin.net
Russian On-screen Keyboard: http://Kbd.RusWin.net

Hello!

In Russian forums it's an often complaint - about Language Bar -
and the solutions are listed on that page I gave a link to in my
previous
e-mail (it's a collection of solutions form severla Russian forums),
where the most common one is to turn Language Bar "off" -
completely - and use 3rd party language indicator/switch -
RusLat or other (there are many of them).

RusLat 2.30 works just fine for me and others under XP and 2000.

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky
"Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
http://RusWin.net
Russian On-screen Keyboard: http://Kbd.RusWin.net

ilyaz

Thank you, Paul, for your suggestion.
Yesterday, I run MS Proofing Tools 2003 repair and changed the key
combination to Ctrl+Shift, but did not turn the Language Bar on. Now, the
toggle works, but I cannot see what language is on at the moment until I
start to type. Big inconvenience... If it will cause too much of a trouble,
I probably will try RusLat.
Thanks again for your help.
Ilya

wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello!

In Russian forums it's an often complaint - about Language Bar -
and the solutions are listed on that page I gave a link to in my
previous
e-mail (it's a collection of solutions form severla Russian forums),
where the most common one is to turn Language Bar "off" -
completely - and use 3rd party language indicator/switch -
RusLat or other (there are many of them).

RusLat 2.30 works just fine for me and others under XP and 2000.

--
Regards,
Paul Gorodyansky
"Cyrillic (Russian): instructions for Windows and Internet":
http://RusWin.net
Russian On-screen Keyboard: http://Kbd.RusWin.net

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Ilyaz,

what "shortcut in Windows" do you have in mind?

Control Panel/Regional settings/Language/Details. Look at
the bottom of the dialog box, you should see something
about Keysettings. You can define key shortcuts in here for
specific languages, as well as the toggle.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update
Jun 8 2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any
follow question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail
:-)

ilyaz

Thank you, Cindy. As I said in my previous post, I reinstalled (repaired) MS
Proofing Tools and now I have the toggle working, but without icon :-(
Thanks for your help.
Ilya

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote in message
Hi Ilyaz,