Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
KateEd KateEd is offline

Default How to ascertain what MS word version a document was created in?

I need to find a way to simply identify the version of Word that a file was
created in.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Ask the person who created it. This information is not stored in any
reliable format with the document. I thought that the metadata
(ALT+SHIFT+F11) might have done it, but a document saved in Word 97-2003
format from Word 2007 shows that it was created with Word 11 (2003) and not
Word 12(2007).

KateEd wrote:
I need to find a way to simply identify the version of Word that a
file was created in.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Word 2003 (and some earlier versions), if you set the View in the File
Open dialog to Properties, the version will be displayed. Note that of
course Word can recognize the version only for current and earlier versions,
not for later ones.