Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
franktee franktee is offline

Default MS Word 2000 SR1 query

Am new at working with MS Word 2000 SR1 but here goes...
Am attempting to scan a name and address list to ms word 2000 sr1 via
Microtek scanmaker 4800 so the addresses can be alphabetized, but am unable
to view the list when when opening "file" in ms word. There are other files
there that are viewable and there are some files that show yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyys
and boxes but not the file I thought I sent there. Can someone advise what
I'm doing wrong. Appreciate help getting me on track.
Thanks for any help responses.
franktee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

FT:

Sorry if I'm way off base here, but unless you're using some kind of OCR
(optical character recognition) software with your scanner, all you can scan
into Word is a picture of the page, not the actual text on the page.

Does your scanner come with any OCR package?

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
franktee franktee is offline

Thanks for your response.
Yes it has OCR package which I now clicked on. I then saved the file to "my
documents" and then opened with " MS WORD" , but upon opening the file all I
saw was "gibberish".
Appreciate any possible guidence from there on. Thanks again.
FT

"Bear" wrote:

FT:

Sorry if I'm way off base here, but unless you're using some kind of OCR
(optical character recognition) software with your scanner, all you can scan
into Word is a picture of the page, not the actual text on the page.

Does your scanner come with any OCR package?

Bear
--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bear[_2_] Bear[_2_] is offline

Frank:

What extension does the file have? Can you try opening it with a drawing
package to see if it's still just a picture? (That's what it sounds like.)

I'm not going to be able to offer much more help as I don't have the scanner
or OCR package you're trying to use. I'd hope your scanner or OCR software
might come with a guide or tutorial of some kind.

Bear

--
Windows XP, Word 2000

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
franktee franktee is offline

Hi again
I will try checking for a tutorial and take it from there and also follow
your suggestion.
Thanks again for your help.