Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kate Kate is offline

Default inserting table problems

When I "insert table" the right margin suddenly changes to 2.5
inches and if I try to expand the table, the columns in that area
disappear.

What do I do? When I look at page setup, it shows a .8 right margin.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

What are the dimensions of the table (as well as its columns)? Are there any
indents specified for the paragraphs in the table?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kate" wrote in message
When I "insert table" the right margin suddenly changes to 2.5
inches and if I try to expand the table, the columns in that area
disappear.

What do I do? When I look at page setup, it shows a .8 right margin.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kate Kate is offline

Hi Stefan

I had a clear Word page.
Inserted table with 2 columns, 5 rows, autofit.
The right margin of the page jumped in to 2.5 inches. As if a gutter had
formed.
I went into every suggestion of margin control, gutter control, etc that I
could find.

Then I opened an old table used for a seating chart, cleared its cells and
set up
the new data table I needed. While it was open, I looked at every margin
control
spot I could think of for something unusual = nada.

Kate

"kate" wrote in message
When I "insert table" the right margin suddenly changes to 2.5
inches and if I try to expand the table, the columns in that area
disappear.

What do I do? When I look at page setup, it shows a .8 right margin.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Which version of Word are you using?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kate" wrote in message
When I "insert table" the right margin suddenly changes to 2.5
inches and if I try to expand the table, the columns in that area
disappear.

What do I do? When I look at page setup, it shows a .8 right margin.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Kate Kate is offline

Stefan - I've been quite the detective - it's a COLUMN command that's warped.
Word 2003 on XP. My new documents open not with ONE column automatically,
but with an undefined column whose width is not accurate and varies.

I have learned to go into Format columns and enter the width according to my
margins. Usually that's .5 margins for worksheets, so the width is 7.5, 1
inch margins for regular documents, so I set the "column" width at 6 inches.

If I simply click ONE column, it's never correct. There's a "1" in the
number of columns space, but obviously it's not registering.

That seems to be the only way. I can't find out what I checked to take away
the automatica resetting of the page width....do you know what I might have
checked or UNchecked?

Katea

"kate" wrote in message
When I "insert table" the right margin suddenly changes to 2.5
inches and if I try to expand the table, the columns in that area
disappear.

What do I do? When I look at page setup, it shows a .8 right margin.

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

In the Format | Columns dialog box, instead of typing the column width,
click the predefined "One" option; that fixes the issue.

If this happens with new documents created from normal.dot, open it as a
document and make the change there too. See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...alTemplate.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP