Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory erik_gregory is offline

Default Insert File--Can I Insert Only a Portion of a Document?

Hello and thanx for any advice in advance. I love the insert file menu
option, which enables Word documents to "talk" to each other. Except I think
it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It's the whole document or nothing at
all. Is there any way to import only sections of a document into another
document? Thanx.

Erik
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
BobLitwack BobLitwack is offline

erik_gregory wrote:
Hello and thanx for any advice in advance. I love the insert file menu
option, which enables Word documents to "talk" to each other. Except I think
it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It's the whole document or nothing at
all. Is there any way to import only sections of a document into another
document? Thanx.

Erik

What you need to do is define the "pieces" that you want to insert as a
bookmark. Then use the Include Tex field command and specify out the
full path of the file and bookmark. I use a special file just to hold
inserts.

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory erik_gregory is offline

Thanx for the reply. Can you have a quick look at my expression and tell me
where my syntax is wrong? I'm only trying to point to a document on my
desktop (with the bookmark name of test1). Many thanx.

{ [C:\Documents and Settings\ErikGregory\Desktop\Test1.doc] [test1] [\!] }

"BobLitwack" wrote:

erik_gregory wrote:
Hello and thanx for any advice in advance. I love the insert file menu
option, which enables Word documents to "talk" to each other. Except I think
it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It's the whole document or nothing at
all. Is there any way to import only sections of a document into another
document? Thanx.

Erik

What you need to do is define the "pieces" that you want to insert as a
bookmark. Then use the Include Tex field command and specify out the
full path of the file and bookmark. I use a special file just to hold
inserts.

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
erik_gregory erik_gregory is offline

Thank you. I'm still getting an error! result on this end. Now, does it have
something to do with the manner the bookmark was inserted? I merely selected
the text I wanted imported into another file, inserted a bookmark (test1) and
left it at that. Any more tips? Many thanks.

Erik

"BobLitwack" wrote:

erik_gregory wrote:
Hello and thanx for any advice in advance. I love the insert file menu
option, which enables Word documents to "talk" to each other. Except I

think
it's an all-or-nothing proposition. It's the whole document or nothing

at
all. Is there any way to import only sections of a document into

another
document? Thanx.

Erik

What you need to do is define the "pieces" that you want to insert as a
bookmark. Then use the Include Tex field command and specify out the
full path of the file and bookmark. I use a special file just to hold
inserts.

Bob Litwack

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You must select the text, insert a bookmark, then close the file. In the
target document, use Insert | File | Link to File. Type the bookmark name
into the "Range" box.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The field should look like this:

{ INCLUDETEXT "C:\Documents and Settings\ErikGregory\Desktop\Test1.doc"
Test1 }

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"erik_gregory" wrote in message
Thanx for the reply. Can you have a quick look at my expression and

tell
me
where my syntax is wrong? I'm only trying to point to a document on my
desktop (with the bookmark name of test1). Many thanx.

{ [C:\Documents and Settings\ErikGregory\Desktop\Test1.doc] [test1]

[\!] }

~$ Russ Microsoft Word Help 21 February 5th 08 06:48 PM
master document and subdocuments adding pages Roundy Page Layout 4 November 23rd 06 05:35 PM
I cannot insert pictures from a file to a Word 2003 document HAUS Microsoft Word Help 1 April 19th 06 11:12 PM
merge instructions from text file Steve Mailmerge 8 November 26th 05 03:31 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM