Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Default Why files auto linked?

I am working with a 20 page Word document and making numerous revisions. If I
save a new copy with a different name in the same folder, anytime I make a
change to the new copy, it automatically changes the original copy and any
other copies of it, as if they are linked, but no linking feature has been
enabled. Any ideas what could be causing this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Not sure why this file did this, but I ended up selecting all and copying and
pasted into a new doucment, and the linking disappeared. Having worked and
supported Word for years, I have never seen anything like this before.
"Kim" wrote:

I am working with a 20 page Word document and making numerous revisions. If I
save a new copy with a different name in the same folder, anytime I make a
change to the new copy, it automatically changes the original copy and any
other copies of it, as if they are linked, but no linking feature has been
enabled. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DGD41 DGD41 is offline

I have run into the same problem, and cannot email the document because Word
will not open it without the linked document available. I have been
copy-and-pasting, but used "special." Will try without the special.

"Kim" wrote:

I am working with a 20 page Word document and making numerous revisions. If I
save a new copy with a different name in the same folder, anytime I make a
change to the new copy, it automatically changes the original copy and any
other copies of it, as if they are linked, but no linking feature has been
enabled. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kim kim is offline

Try selecting the entire document and then paste and copy into a new blank
document. In the future, avoid using paste special, as it might link without
intending to. But copying and pasting everything into a new document should
clear it. If not, try pasting special as an RTF file (but don't check the
link option) and then reformat if necessary.