Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Karen Karen is offline

Default Page Layout Confusion - HELP!

I'm having a difficult time setting up columns in Word 2003.
This is the layout:
I have 2 pages - I'm starting on page 2 first. Page one has one header and
page two has a different header.

So, on page 2, I have a header and then I have to layout 2 columns below
that header. Each column is a table. I want to be able to have different row
heights in each column. How can this be done? I inserted 2 columns and when
I try to change the row height in the column to the left, it changes in the
column to the right also.
HELP!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Hi Karen -

I'm sure the help you want is available, but we need to clear up a few
misconceptions & get a clearer picture of your intended result first. Please
see the interjections below:

"Karen" wrote in message
I'm having a difficult time setting up columns in Word 2003.
This is the layout:

The key word "layout" is part of why you're having a difficult time. Word
isn't a layout program, it's a word processing program.

I have 2 pages - I'm starting on page 2 first.

This is an example of what I mean - word processing software deal with a
matter of text flow from beginning to end. If you try to start at the end or
in the middle you're working "against the grain" as the expresion goes - or
contrary to the nature of the program.

Page one has one header and
page two has a different header.

Are we actually talking about *Headers* (as in ViewHeader/Footer) or are we
talking about *headings*?... They're 2 separate & distinct components of a
document.

So, on page 2, I have a header and then I have to layout 2 columns below
that header. Each column is a table. I want to be able to have different
row
heights in each column. How can this be done?

As you're finding out, it can't be done... at least not easily. As long as
both columns are part of the same table each cell in any row of that table
will be the same height. IOW, height is a property of a row, not of an
individual cell. (That isn't _entirely_ true now that we're "blessed" with
the Tables & Borders tools as well as merging & splitting cells, but those
things can get you into a serious bind.)

I inserted 2 columns and when
I try to change the row height in the column to the left, it changes in
the
column to the right also.

Correct, as explained above. You may be able to use 2 tables of one column
each side-by-side - it depends on some of the other information requested.

HELP!

Please post back as noted at the beginning of this reply & we'll try to do
exactly that. Keep in mind that you may want to consider using a different
program, but that's dependent on the details you're able to furnish. Also,
how long do you expect the finished doc to be?
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Karen Karen is offline

Thank you for offering to help - Sorry about the poor explanation.
To answer your questions and comment on your statements.

The key word "layout" is part of why you're having a difficult time. Word
isn't a layout program, it's a word processing program.
I was just using "layout" as a general term. I really need to be using
Quark or InDesign for this. I do not have these programs at work.

Are we actually talking about *Headers* (as in ViewHeader/Footer) or are we
talking about *headings*?
I'm talking about headers. I have one header on the first page and another
header on the second.

"As long as both columns are part of the same table each cell in any row of
that table will be the same height."
I actually want two separate tables - just side by side. Isn't there a
break I can use that with separate the tables so the row heights can differ?

There's actually a good reason I started the second page first. I need to
finish this document ASAP. Someone hasn't finalized the changes to page one
yet. Therefore, I thought that I would start on page two to expedite matters.

Thank you again, Karen

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Thanks for a better understanding of the situation.

Does your employer have MS Publisher? Not as sophisticated as QX or Indy,
but would facilitate this type of task... especially if your're already
familiar with page layout concepts. It's a rather easy program to learn
quickly.

If you have to proceed in Word, IMO, you'd be best to create 2 separate
1-column tables, adjust their respective widths & position them
side-by-side. That will provide the independent row height you're looking
for.

You can Split a table between rows, but not between columns. If you've
already created the 2-column table & it has content, you can select & cut
one of the columns. Then paste into a different para (so it doesn't rejoin
the original table) and arrange from there. I would think you'd be OK from
there as long as the content you eventually add to page 1 doesn't flow
beyond that page and the tables don't run on to yet a 3rd.
--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Karen Karen is offline

Thank you again for your help - You are VERY helpful.

What do you mean by:
Then paste into a different para (so it doesn't rejoin the original table)

Karen

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

I simply meant to paste the cut column in a different area of the document,
then move it to where it needs to go. If you try to paste it directly next
to the other they may rejoin as a unified 2-column table again - defeating
the whole purpose of cutting in the first place :-)

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 2/21/07 4:55 PM, in article
, "Karen"

"Karen" wrote in message
[...]

Label Confusion with Mac [email protected] Microsoft Word Help 2 September 5th 06 03:26 AM
1st page layout (normal, landscape) next pages layout (2 pages for page, portrait) Max Page Layout 1 August 30th 06 05:28 PM
Style confusion Lexisch Page Layout 3 May 15th 06 12:08 PM
Page numbering confusion Milind Microsoft Word Help 2 February 27th 06 10:42 PM
style confusion skibikegolf Microsoft Word Help 1 January 5th 05 09:56 AM