juzliqan

Default Word 2002 - default TOC format?

Hi all,

I want to have a standard table of contents format for a corporate template,
but every time I make changes the changes are not remembered.

I want to have no tab leader dots, modified TOC styles, and the table built
only from certain styles. I understand that I should therefore select formats
"from template" - but any changes I make there this time, I also have to make
again next time.

Is there any way of getting these changes to "stick" so they automatically
get applied next time?

Regards,

Julian

juzliqan

By changing the TOC styles am I able to remove tab leader dots, or force the
TOC to only use certain of the document styles (eg: build from Heading1 and
Heading3, but not Heading2) when building the TOC?

"juzliqan" wrote:

Hi all,

I want to have a standard table of contents format for a corporate template,
but every time I make changes the changes are not remembered.

I want to have no tab leader dots, modified TOC styles, and the table built
only from certain styles. I understand that I should therefore select formats
"from template" - but any changes I make there this time, I also have to make
again next time.

Is there any way of getting these changes to "stick" so they automatically
get applied next time?

Regards,

Julian

Stefan Blom

Well, yes and no. Which styles are referenced in the table of contents
is determined by the TOC field code. This, in turn, is created by Word
as you create a TOC. You can copy and paste an existing TOC into a
template, which will bring the field code along with it.

To make your TOC have no tab leaders, you can modify the TOC styles to
explicitly include a right-aligned tab stop (at the right margin) with
no leader defined.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"juzliqan" wrote:

Hi all,

I want to have a standard table of contents format for a

corporate template,
but every time I make changes the changes are not remembered.

I want to have no tab leader dots, modified TOC styles, and the

table built
only from certain styles. I understand that I should therefore

select formats
"from template" - but any changes I make there this time, I also

have to make
again next time.

Is there any way of getting these changes to "stick" so they

automatically
get applied next time?

Regards,

Julian

To add to what Stefan has said, when you have fine-tuned your TOC to be
exactly what you want, save the TOC field as an AutoText entry. Keep in mind
that you will still need to define the TOC styles as required in the
template you're using. But in this way the same TOC field AutoText entry can
produce TOCs with various appearances in documents based on various
templates.

"juzliqan" wrote:

Hi all,

I want to have a standard table of contents format for a

corporate template,
but every time I make changes the changes are not remembered.

I want to have no tab leader dots, modified TOC styles, and the

table built
only from certain styles. I understand that I should therefore

select formats
"from template" - but any changes I make there this time, I also

have to make
again next time.

Is there any way of getting these changes to "stick" so they

automatically
get applied next time?

Regards,

Julian

how do i set up template in vbeditor without proggramming language ARRRGH New Users 4 October 1st 05 03:19 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
My Word 2002 insists on saving in Word 6.0/95 format Robert185Clark Microsoft Word Help 3 February 22nd 05 08:12 PM