brucepy

Default Word 2003 Thesaurus Installer error 1605

Whenever one of my users trues to use Thesaurus, he following pops up:

Microsoft Office Word cannot open the Thesaurus
Microsoft Office Word cannot install the necessary files due to Windows
installer error 1605
This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

Previously we got this error using Spell Check as well, but "repairing"
Office corrected that. Knowledge base has NOTHING on this.

I have tried uninstalling Thesaurus and then re-installing - no help.

Short of uninstalling Word and re-installing - or uninstalling 2003 in total
and going to XP - is there ANY solution to this?

Herb Tyson [MVP]

This can be due either to a corrupted normal.dot or a corrupted registry
entry. Try the steps shown here to see if the suggestions resolve the
problem:

http://www.officearticles.com/word/s...osoft_word.htm

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"brucepy" wrote in message
Whenever one of my users trues to use Thesaurus, he following pops up:

Microsoft Office Word cannot open the Thesaurus
Microsoft Office Word cannot install the necessary files due to Windows
installer error 1605
This action is only valid for products that are currently installed

Previously we got this error using Spell Check as well, but "repairing"
Office corrected that. Knowledge base has NOTHING on this.

I have tried uninstalling Thesaurus and then re-installing - no help.

Short of uninstalling Word and re-installing - or uninstalling 2003 in
total
and going to XP - is there ANY solution to this?

brucepy

I tried all the steps suggested - INCLUDING uninstalling and re-installing
Word.

The ONLY good news is that after the rror pops up and you press OK about 3-5
times - the thesaurus seems to work.

I guess instead of another Windows annoyance, I now have an Office annoyance.

Sigh....

BTW - there WAS no normal.dot, even after I said to look for hidden files -
strange, I thought.