Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ

Default Difficulty merging from Excel to Word

This is a recurrent problem. When attempting to select mail merge recipients,
I get either "Word could not parse your query options into a valid SQL
string" or "Word could not merge the main document with the data source
because the data records were empty or no data records matched your query
options"

I know the latter is wrong, as when looking at the data I can SEE at least
one item that matches my query options.

As I know next to nothing about SQL, or what Parsing might be, I don't know
where to proceed from here.

From my research, I know that apostrophes and wild cards can cause problems
with merging. We use niether here.

Any help will be appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

See if - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=825765 helps.

Russ wrote:
This is a recurrent problem. When attempting to select mail merge
recipients, I get either "Word could not parse your query options
into a valid SQL string" or "Word could not merge the main document
with the data source because the data records were empty or no data
records matched your query options"

I know the latter is wrong, as when looking at the data I can SEE at
least one item that matches my query options.

As I know next to nothing about SQL, or what Parsing might be, I
don't know where to proceed from here.

From my research, I know that apostrophes and wild cards can cause
problems with merging. We use niether here.

Any help will be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russ

I followed the instructions in the link you supplied, and while it worked as
far as removing the introductory dialogue box, it didnt resolve my original
problem. Even with the changes in place, I'm still having issues getting Word
to merge in certain circumstances.

Here's a little additional information:
We're attempting to print form letters, filtering by letter date and letter
type. This throws up an error. If I filter the same information by letter
type and then letter date, it seems to work just fine. The only difference I
can tell between the two methods is that when sorting by date, you have to go
into the advanced filter panel and type in the date, whereas the other method
is accomplished through only drop-down menus.

Thanks again

How do I create a Word form like corel WP merge documents? dlee_at_mmsgov Microsoft Word Help 2 October 8th 05 06:29 AM
how do i set up template in vbeditor without proggramming language ARRRGH New Users 4 October 1st 05 03:19 AM
Envelope Address GR New Users 5 April 24th 05 09:48 PM
Excel worksheet in Word linked text boxes Eduardo Oliveira Page Layout 0 January 5th 05 11:23 PM