Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fred Evans Fred Evans is offline

Default Grey Font color in envelope

I am a user of Word for Macintosh and so wasn't able to answer a friends
call for help. She is using Word 2003 on her PC and can not get the envelope
Font to print in black rather than the gray it defaults to. I tried to help
her and did the following:
1. From Tools went to Letters and then to Envelopes and labels
2. When that next pop up window opened, I selected Options.
3. From there, I went to Envelope options an under Font changed the font
color to black and then pressed Default (per the Word Help instructions).
$. Printed and it still came out Gray.

I printed various Word documents with the fonts in various colors and they
printed correctly each time so I don't think the error is with the printer.
The only item not accepting the font color change is the envelope. However,
it did understand the difference between Regular and Bold and printed a nice
Bold Gray.

Is there something I am missing?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Fred Evans
Powerbook G4 1.67 GHZ, 15", 1GB RAM, 10.4.9

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

You would be better asking in the Mac Word forum, had this been a PC, I
would have suggested that this was a printer driver (or ink shortage) issue
as for some bizarre reason envelope printing often uses a composite black
rather than the blank ink of the printer. Lexmark printers are notorious in
this respect.

Fred Evans wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fred Evans Fred Evans is offline

Graham,

Thanks for your reply. I should have been more clear--I use a Mac and my
friend uses a PC which is why I came to this forum. I'll find out if she
uses a Lexmark printer. If she does use a Lexmark, is there any upgrade or
work around I can suggest to her?

Thanks in advance,
Fred

On 3/23/07 3:39 AM, in article ,
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You would be better asking in the Mac Word forum, had this been a PC, I
would have suggested that this was a printer driver (or ink shortage) issue
as for some bizarre reason envelope printing often uses a composite black
rather than the blank ink of the printer. Lexmark printers are notorious in
this respect.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

She could ensure that the font colour for the envelope address paragraph
style is set to Black (not auto).
She could try updating the print driver.
She could try the envelope templates that you can download from my web site
instead of the envelope wizard.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

You would be better asking in the Mac Word forum, had this been a
PC, I would have suggested that this was a printer driver (or ink
shortage) issue as for some bizarre reason envelope printing often
uses a composite black rather than the blank ink of the printer.
Lexmark printers are notorious in this respect.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Fred Evans Fred Evans is offline

Graham,

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll talk to her this morning and try the fixes
and let you know the results.

Thanks again,
Fred

On 3/23/07 6:37 AM, in article ,
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

She could ensure that the font colour for the envelope address paragraph
style is set to Black (not auto).
She could try updating the print driver.
She could try the envelope templates that you can download from my web site
instead of the envelope wizard.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I recall reading a similar problem printing envelopes to a Lexmark - but I
thought it was a colour problem. However, the Lexmark driver is the problem.
Check with Lexmark online support to see if there is a new driver.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP