Nick

Default Documents open very slowly

Since I have a WinXP SP2 on powerful computer, I installed Office 2003 hoping
that I wouldn't come across any problems... so much for that...

Anyway, I come across a problem when I download a document from an e-mail
attachment. It can come from an e-mail client or web-based e-mail account,
and the same problem occurs when I get the file from a Flashdrive.

The problem: when I double-click to open these files, it takes a good 2-3
minutes before the "Office 2003" opening image comes up, and then usually
opens the .doc file no problem. Granted, 2-3 minutes doesn't seem so bad, but
it really slows me down in my high-paced weaving through documents and such.

Any help is appreciated!
garfield-n-odie

If you're using Symantec/Norton AntiVirus, try disabling the
Office Plugin that comes with it. See
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329820 "How to use Office
programs with the Norton AntiVirus Office plug-in" for more
information.

For another possibility, see
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=830561 "Documents that have
attached templates take a long time to open in Word 2002 and in
Word 2003".

Nick wrote:

Since I have a WinXP SP2 on powerful computer, I installed Office 2003 hoping
that I wouldn't come across any problems... so much for that...

Anyway, I come across a problem when I download a document from an e-mail
attachment. It can come from an e-mail client or web-based e-mail account,
and the same problem occurs when I get the file from a Flashdrive.

The problem: when I double-click to open these files, it takes a good 2-3
minutes before the "Office 2003" opening image comes up, and then usually
opens the .doc file no problem. Granted, 2-3 minutes doesn't seem so bad, but
it really slows me down in my high-paced weaving through documents and such.

Any help is appreciated!

Nick

Hm, I do have Symantec, and I've removed the settings, but the document still
opens slowly when I double-click the icon.

Thanks for the suggestion though.