Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CuriousGeorge CuriousGeorge is offline

Default Numbering Pages in A Large Document Split Across Multiple Files

I have a large Microsoft Word 2003 document that will grow beyond the 32Mb
limit. Because of the need to alternate between portrait and landscape
printing and the need change the contents of headers and footers, the
document consists of over 100 different sections. In order to minimize the
possibility of corruption, none of the headers or footers are linked to their
previous section. I wish to split the document into multiple Microsoft Word
files, yet I wish to maintain the X of Y page numbering so that when I print
the multiple files and stack the pages, it appears as if it is a single
contiguous document. Is there a way to define some sort of a variable at the
start of each file so that I can add the variable's content to the NumPages
field in the footer of each section and in a table of contents? As the
document grows, I wish to reduce the amount of work associated with updating
the page count to one instance per file instead of one instance per section.
I am comfortable using many of the advance features of Word, but find myself
over my head when it comes to VBA programming, etc.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi George

CuriousGeorge wrote:
I have a large Microsoft Word 2003 document that will grow beyond the 32Mb
limit.

That's a whole lot. The technical barrier for the raw-text amount (used
to be 32 MByte) has been raised somewhere between Word 2000 and Word
2003; still, if that's raw text, sounds like a telephone book! :-)

[...]

For that project, you should consider hiring a VBA/Word expert.

Concerning the page numbering: you will be in need of a mechanism to set
the starting page number of each document (so that it numbers through);
and you will need to use something different from NUMPAGES (since you
cannot trick Word into a different number there). Writing the total page
number into a custom document property and referencing this instead
comes to mind here.

For starters, see the following thread:

Continuous Page Numbering (by Jonathan West)
http://groups.google.ch/group/micros...1022609?hl=de&

Greetinx
Robert
--