Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Default Adding Numbers of Multiple Cells in a Table

I have inserted bookmarks in the cells in my table (one column).
x = a1
x = a2
x = a3
x = a4
x =a 5

x Subtotal cell ? I have tried using a formula: -- insert field, formula.
What is the calculation for adding the cells above. The help menu only shows
a calculation to add 2 cells instead of a column of cells.

I then have two more cells below the subtotal cell:

x Total cell. What is the field formula for adding the subtotal and the two
cells below?

I am using bookmarks because I have a subtotal and 2 cells below to equal a
total.

PS - Why doesn't Word have any templates with the formula's. It seems that
formula's are primarily done in excel.

Thank you very much!
Bettina
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the Help topic "Field codes: = (Formula) field," specifically the
section on table references, which explains how to indicate a range; the
examples also include a table range.

"Bettina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Wow, what a wonderful idea. I inserted a table using the insert MS excel
worksheet function and began to organize the row and columns but the
spreadsheet is only showing a few rows. It has been cut off. Would you know
how I can fix it so that the entire sets of columns and rows I format shows?

Thank you very much.
Brilliant idea!!!
Bettina

"CyberTaz" wrote:

Well, the short answer is that word processing programs are for processing
words, spreadsheets are for processing numbers But it isn't that the
"twain" can't meet:

One option: Instead of the Insert Table feature use the Insert Microsoft
Excel Worksheet feature. The button is right next to the Insert Table button
on the Standard toolbar. I'd do the entire table in the Exel object,
including the formatting. The finished product will look just like a Word
table, but with all the capabilities of an Excel file *without* the hassle
of bookmarks, EQ fields, manual updating, etc. If any changes need to be
made just dbl-click the object & use Excel's features to do them. You can
also resize as necessary to display the appropriate number of columns &
rows.

Another possibility: Go directly into Excel, create the content there, then
copy & paste into the doc. You'll get a Word table with no fields or
bookmarks, but updating calculations based on changes in the values won't be
possible. If updates are at all likely, use Edit Paste Special MS Office
Excel Worksheet Object instead & treat as in the first option above.

--
HTH |:)
Bob Jones

"Bettina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bettina Bettina is offline

Suzanne,

CyberTaz had come up with a brilliant idea.
I responded to his reply with one question. I believe you are answering
based on an older discussion.

--
Bettina

"Bettina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Glad it's working for you.

As for the sizing, just dbl-click the Excel object (if you aren't active in
it already) and use the square black "handles" at each of the 4 corners &
midpoint of each side to stretch the "window" displaying the sheet. The
mouse pointer will turn into a bi-directional arrow (vertical, horizontal or
diagonal) when in the right spots. Adjust to display whatever number of
columns & rows you want - it may take a few attempts because of the scroll
bars, but once you get it right it will stay that way. Just click back into
the doc whaen you're done.

If you click the inactive object *once* (just select it) the handles allow
resizing the object, but stretch the displayed content rather than the size
of the window... which is something I typically prefer to avoid as it's apt
to induce disproportinality & distortion.
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Bettina" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I would have suggested embedding an Excel sheet except I didn't see how that
would work with form fields.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See the Help topic "Field codes: = (Formula) field," specifically the
section on table references, which explains how to indicate a range; the
examples also include a table range.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.