Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
José Spanjaard José Spanjaard is offline

Default Properties of combo box content control Word 2007

Hi all,
In Word 2007, I have inserted a combo box as content control. In the
Properties I can set a 'Display name' and a 'Value'. But whatever I do, only
the display name is shown in the form. Does anyone know what the function of
'Value' is?

Thanks for your help!
Jose
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

The Value in a content controls is used if the content control is bound to a
database or custom XML stored in your document. This enables data entered in
a content control to be passed to the database using matching values the
database. (If you are familiar with relational databases, the Value would be
for your foreign key in the table.)

For example, if the Display Name is "Accounting" but foreign key is
expecting a value, such as "200" for Accounting, then you'd enter 200 in the
Value text box. That way your data is passed to the database correctly but
users don't need to memorize the various codes in order to make the correct
selection.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"José Spanjaard" wrote in message
Hi all,
In Word 2007, I have inserted a combo box as content control. In the
Properties I can set a 'Display name' and a 'Value'. But whatever I do,
only
the display name is shown in the form. Does anyone know what the function
of
'Value' is?

Thanks for your help!
Jose

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
José Spanjaard José Spanjaard is offline

Thank you, Beth, that is very helpful!
--
José Spanjaard
The User Company BV

[...]