Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Default "Comments From" window: I lost it!!

I managed, by accident, to display a change review window that was titled
"Comments From", with a drop-down box to select either All Reviewers, or
someone specific. The information displayed was all of the comments, without
the extra garbarge (author, time, etc.), which was exactly what I needed. But
it disappeared and I have no idea how to get it back. I have a screenshot of
it (I can send it to someone if they can help), but that is all.

Thanks!!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

It's related to the Reviewing Pane, but it is not that simple, and I have yet
to be able to reproduce it. (I wish I could show some screen shots.)
Normally when I display the Reviewing Pane, it says "Main Document changes
and comments", followed by a colored bar which details the user & date, then
another line which displays the comment, then the next colored bar, etc. The
problem with this display is it will not let you copy & paste all of the
comments at once, only one at a time. (That is the crux of what I need to
do; create a list of all of the comments themselves.)
When I got into "Comments From:" mode, it displayed just the comments,
without the colored headers; and I was able to copy & paste all of them at
once.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Still doesn't work, but...

I have found some reference material from some college courses, that mention
the Comment pane and the "Comments From" drop-down menu, from which you can
select the desired author. But these particular settings don't help.

"Display the comment marks by going to the Tools menu, Options, and then the
View tab. Under the "Formatting marks" section, tick the Hidden text box.
Click the name of the reviewer in the Comments From box at the top of the
comment pane."

See also: http://training.cssd.pitt.edu/downlo...ackChanges.doc
Section "A. Insert a Comment" has a picture of what the window looks like.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Ah! The screen shot does help indeed! I was starting to think the Comments
pane was a third party add-in but now that I see what you are referring to
the Comments pane from versions of Word prior to Word 2002. (Since you
described the Reviewing Pane I figured you are using Word 2002 or higher and
wasn't thinking about past versions.)

I'm not sure if you can still find Comments under the View menu after Word
2002. It *might* be an available command for your toolbars (Tools/Customize)
but I currently have Word 2007 and I don't see it there. (Which doesn't mean
much when it comes to checking on things for previous versions.)

BUT, this code still works for Word 2007 so if you (or someone else) can't
find the command to add to your menu/toolbar then a macro can be created for
this purpose so you should be able to get it back one way or another. :-)

ActiveWindow.View.SplitSpecial = wdPaneComments

If you need help on using the above code then post back with the version of
Word you are using and we can provide the instructions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Coauthor of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"David" wrote in message
Still doesn't work, but...

I have found some reference material from some college courses, that
mention
the Comment pane and the "Comments From" drop-down menu, from which you
can
select the desired author. But these particular settings don't help.

"Display the comment marks by going to the Tools menu, Options, and then
the
View tab. Under the "Formatting marks" section, tick the Hidden text box.
Click the name of the reviewer in the Comments From box at the top of the
comment pane."

See also: http://training.cssd.pitt.edu/downlo...ackChanges.doc
Section "A. Insert a Comment" has a picture of what the window looks like.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
David David is offline

Thank you Beth, that works great!

I happen to have 2003 SP2, by the way, so that explains why it was so hard
to find, except by accident.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You're welcome. :-)

For future reference, did you find the command in Tools/Customize or did you
use the code I provided? If it was the command, what is the exact name of
the command?