Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mariel9898 mariel9898 is offline

Default Word 2007 - Style changes reverting back in a template

I have a Word 2007 template (.dotx) where I am trying to change a style. I
make the changes, update the style and save the template document, but then
when I go to start a new document the style is the old one. When I reopen the
template, the style has reverted back to the original.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

How are you changing the style? If you open the template as a document and
modify the style directly, that should work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mariel9898" wrote in message
news
I have a Word 2007 template (.dotx) where I am trying to change a style. I
make the changes, update the style and save the template document, but
then
when I go to start a new document the style is the old one. When I reopen
the
template, the style has reverted back to the original.

What am I doing wrong?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mariel9898 mariel9898 is offline

I am opening the actual tempalte (.dotx) and making the changes.

This is the way it used to done in Word 2003 - I've been doing it for years
with no problems. It's a huge problem in Word 2007.

By the way I found a workaround (and I generally hate workarounds but
sometimes you have to get stuff done). If I save the template with a
different name it seems to keep the changes.

Whoever at MS thought this was easier to use should have their head examined.

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How are you changing the style? If you open the template as a document and
modify the style directly, that should work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mariel9898" wrote in message
news
I have a Word 2007 template (.dotx) where I am trying to change a style. I
make the changes, update the style and save the template document, but
then
when I go to start a new document the style is the old one. When I reopen
the
template, the style has reverted back to the original.

What am I doing wrong?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Since you have to Save As, something is apparently preventing you from
saving the original template file correctly. Do you get an error message or
warning of some kind?

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

How are you changing the style? If you open the template as a document
and
modify the style directly, that should work.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"mariel9898" wrote in message
news
I have a Word 2007 template (.dotx) where I am trying to change a style.
make the changes, update the style and save the template document, but
then
when I go to start a new document the style is the old one. When I
reopen
the
template, the style has reverted back to the original.

What am I doing wrong?

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mariel9898 mariel9898 is offline

I don't understand exactly what you mean - in order to save as a 2007 of
course "save as" has to be used doesn't it?

Anyway you made me think of something to try but it didn't work. I opened
the original .dot file, did a save as document template which saved it as a
..dotx file. I closed the file, reopened it and made a small change as an
experiment. But when I went to creat a new document based on the template
(Office Button, New, pick the template from the list) the changes were not
there. I went back to the .dotx file in My Computer and opened it using right
click, open (to open the file and not a new document) and the changes were
not there.

I don't know what is going on. I'm running XP in a corporate environment by
the way in case it's relevant.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Assuming that I understood your description correctly, you were saying that
Save As pops up when you try to save an existing file (which normally
wouldn't require a Save As operation)? My question was: Is there a message
before you are presented with the Save As dialog box?

The fact that you're on a corporate network might be relevant. For example,
the cause of trouble could be access rights to folders. If this is the case,
it's a Windows issue.