Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
francis_tzf francis_tzf is offline

Default Page Number Begin at 1 on seventh page

I have a document that is a couple hundred pages in length. I would
like page numbering to begin on the seventh page with number 1. The
first six pages are a title page, table of contents, dedication, etc.
that I do not want to have numbers at all. Using Word 2007's Help
feature, I think this has to do with setting a "Section" but I cannot
figure out how to do it. Thank you! Francis
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bo Bo is offline

francis, you are on the right track....

On page 6:
If you had inserted a regular page break, delete it
Now, at the end of the page enter a Next Page Section Break (insert break

Then go to page 7:
View your headers and footer

The first plan of action is to unlink the footer (assuming your page number
is in the footer) from previous (there is a button on the now-active Headers
and Footers toolbar for this).

While still in the page 7 footer, chose the format page numbers button on
the same toolbar indicate that you would like the numbering to start at 1.

Next, scroll up to page 6 select the page number in the footer and delete
it.

Finally, click te close button on the Headers and Footers toolbar to return
to the document body.

Cheers

--
BO Haynes
Microsoft Master Instructor (MMI)

"francis_tzf" wrote:

I have a document that is a couple hundred pages in length. I would
like page numbering to begin on the seventh page with number 1. The
first six pages are a title page, table of contents, dedication, etc.
that I do not want to have numbers at all. Using Word 2007's Help
feature, I think this has to do with setting a "Section" but I cannot
figure out how to do it. Thank you! Francis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
p0 p0 is offline

If you do not want to play around with any type of breaks, you could
just format the page number:

{ IF { PAGE } 7 “” “{ = {PAGE} – 6 }” }

Note that the brackets are field delimeters. That is, each pair of
brackets is entered by pressing CTRL-F9 and not by typing them.

Yves

"francis_tzf" wrote:
I have a document that is a couple hundred pages in length. I would
like page numbering to begin on the seventh page with number 1. The
first six pages are a title page, table of contents, dedication, etc.
that I do not want to have numbers at all. Using Word 2007's Help
feature, I think this has to do with setting a "Section" but I cannot
figure out how to do it. Thank you! Francis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
francis_tzf francis_tzf is offline

Thank you both. BO Haynes, I used your method. But it took a while
because my version of Word 2007 seems to be different from yours (at
ResourcesAbout Microsoft Word it says "Microsoft Office Word 2007
(12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO (12.6320.5000)". I have posted a screen
capture of the top of the Word window I have, showing the Insert tab
selected, at http://64.33.7.192/pix/word2007.jpg. Speaking of which,
do you know if there is a way to have Word open in the more "classic"
view? Anyway, I got the page numbering done, for which again, thank
you both. Francis
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bo Bo is offline

I'm glad that helped. I apologize....I missed that you were on 2007.

Yes, 2007 would be slightly different.

To insert a section break in 2007:
Page Layout tab Breaks Next Page Break

To edit the footer in 2007:
Insert Footer Edit Footer

Again, I apologize for the confusion...and I'm glad you were able to solve
your issue.

Cheers

--

"francis_tzf" wrote:

Thank you both. BO Haynes, I used your method. But it took a while
because my version of Word 2007 seems to be different from yours (at
ResourcesAbout Microsoft Word it says "Microsoft Office Word 2007
(12.0.6311.5000) SP1 MSO (12.6320.5000)". I have posted a screen
capture of the top of the Word window I have, showing the Insert tab
selected, at http://64.33.7.192/pix/word2007.jpg. Speaking of which,
do you know if there is a way to have Word open in the more "classic"
view? Anyway, I got the page numbering done, for which again, thank
you both. Francis

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] zoofence@gmail.com is offline

No apology is necessary. Having to adapt your instructions to my
version of Word increased my familiarity with Word, and from there, my
confidence in using it; so on balance, it was a good thing!