Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Morfitt Dave Morfitt is offline

Default Estrangelo Edessa Font Unavailable?

I found suddenly that the EE font is non functional using Word 2003, either
to create new text or in trying to read a previously created document.
Character position, spacing, etc. is there, but all characters are uniformly
displayed by open boxes. The same is true if I open the EE font file: no
characters, just boxes. Other fonts seem to be OK (though I've not checked
all of them). The font name is listed in the font drop-down list (including
recently used fonts), but is displayed in a simple small square type that I
believe is different from what it had been before.

Any ideas on what's happened, or on how to recover the font?
--
DCM
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

It could be the font is missing or corrupt. Try installing the font again,
(using the Fonts folder in your Control Panel, click File/Install New Font)
and see if that resolves it. You should be able to find the font on the
Office installation CD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Dave Morfitt" wrote in message
I found suddenly that the EE font is non functional using Word 2003, either
to create new text or in trying to read a previously created document.
Character position, spacing, etc. is there, but all characters are
uniformly
displayed by open boxes. The same is true if I open the EE font file: no
characters, just boxes. Other fonts seem to be OK (though I've not
checked
all of them). The font name is listed in the font drop-down list
(including
recently used fonts), but is displayed in a simple small square type that
believe is different from what it had been before.

Any ideas on what's happened, or on how to recover the font?
--
DCM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave Morfitt Dave Morfitt is offline

Beth,
My Word/Office software came preloaded on a Dell machine. A Dell technician
was stumped by the problem last night, except to suggest resetting the system
to its default settings (which I've not done). I was told that I could NOT
load/install an individual font from the backup system CD which came with the
system. Is there an on-line source for an individual font via Microsoft??
--
DCM

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

I don't know of a Microsoft source for downloading fonts but I'd try
searching for the font online and see if you can find one to download before
wiping everything- that's pretty drastic for just a font!

Here's a Google search with several results, take your pick:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...dessa+download

btw, your experience is exactly why I'll never purchase OEM (preinstalled)
software, you definitely get what you pay for. :-(

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Beth Melton" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

That font came with Windows XP according to
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/...sa&FVER=1.0 0.

Maybe if you posted your question in a Windows newsgroup, someone could help
you. It's worth a shot.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher