Jenny

Default Font defaults back to Times New Roman

Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not be using
Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use Frutiger, not
Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once I'd
changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny
Graham Mayor

Do you have Acrobat 7? This prevents changes being made to the normal.dot
template?
Is this a document template you have created or did you save a document as
normal.dot? You cannot create a normal.dot template this way.
Provided the font is installed, there is no font substitution involved, and
the active printer is capable of printing it, there is no reason why a
template set up to use a particular font shouldn't use it.

Jenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not be
using Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use Frutiger,
not Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once I'd
changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny

Jenny

I do have Acrobat 7 reader. I did read somewhere about Acrobat 7 stuffing
things up but didn't think it was my problem but perhaps it is.
I created a new template and am not using normal.dot.

Thanks
Jenny

Jenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not be
using Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use Frutiger,
not Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once I'd
changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny

Graham Mayor

It is not the reader that is problematical. Only the full version.

You cannot avoid using normal.dot. It is an essential system file. You can
personalise the original to some extent but for your own personal document
types you should create individual document templates. What you can't do,
and have it work correctly, is save a document as normal.dot. Only Word can
create normal.dot, so if this is what you have done, rename normal.dot to
oldnormal.dot and let Word correct the problem.

Jenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not
be using Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use Frutiger,
not Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once
I'd changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny

Jenny

Graham,

It's been a while since I had to use the document which is while it's taken
a while to get back to this and I didn't have reply notification ticked. So
to carry on...

I've got the full version of Acrobat (v5) but am using Acrobat Reader V7.
The template whose font keeps defaulting back to Times New Roman is a
template I've created myself, not called normal.dot.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Thanks again
Jenny

Jenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not
be using Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use Frutiger,
not Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once
I'd changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny

Graham Mayor

Acrobat 5 doesn't have the same problem as 7.

The styles defined and saved in your template should hold whenever you use
that template. If the style is not defined, the one from the default
template (normal.dot) will be used.

Best plan is to open your template for editing, check the style definitions
you require. Save the template (as a template) and you shouldn't have a
problem. My guess (and it is a guess) is that you are not using styles, but
trying to avoid them. Word is a style based application and you need to be
comfortable with their use to get the best out of the application.

Jenny wrote:
Hi,

I'm using Word XP and have created a new template which should not
be using Times New Roman font at all.
Yet, when I go to use the Normal style which is set to use
Frutiger, not Times New Roman, it changes to Times New Roman.
My experience with previous versions of Word did not do this, once
I'd changed a style, it would stick but it isn't now.
Is it just a setting I've missed?
Thanks

Jenny

Jenny

Graham,

I am pretty familiar with previous versions of Word and using templates. I
did create a template and use styles within it.

But I have since fixed the problem. I was using Frutiger font as I mentioned
which I defined within the normal style in my new template and as I said as
soon as I started typing it defaulted back to Times New Roman. Since I
changed my default font in my new template to Century I have not had a
problem with it defaulting back to Times New Roman. Weird...

Frutiger is a font I've installed and Century is provided with my operating
system I think. I can't think of anything else but also can't think why this
would cause problems. I had also changed my Normal.dot default font all to no
avail.

Thanks
Jenny