Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

Default Printing list of styles in my document

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

File | Print What | Styles.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Bothell writer" wrote:

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Sorry - left out a step:

File | Print | Print What | Styles.
--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Bothell writer" wrote:

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bothell writer Bothell writer is offline

I now have 10 pages of styles. The printout only includes 3 lines of text for
each style, so it doesn't indicate the number of occurrences or provide
enough details so I can compare styles.

How do I print all the info, rather than having the details print 3 lines
and ...?

Also I read somewhere where the defined styles show they're character,
paragraph, table, or list styles. The book indicated the ones lacking codes
were just formatting changes. Would I want to delete all those occurrences in
striving for consistency? Of course, I'd change those occurrences to a
defined style first!

Thanks for your help!

"Bothell writer" wrote:

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Qm90aGVsbCB3cml0ZXI=?=,

I now have 10 pages of styles. The printout only includes 3 lines of text for
each style, so it doesn't indicate the number of occurrences or provide
enough details so I can compare styles.

How do I print all the info, rather than having the details print 3 lines
and ...?

Also I read somewhere where the defined styles show they're character,
paragraph, table, or list styles. The book indicated the ones lacking codes
were just formatting changes. Would I want to delete all those occurrences in
striving for consistency? Of course, I'd change those occurrences to a
defined style first!

How about Help/About/System Info. Go to the list of Applications, find Word,
then go to the Styles category. File/print. (This assumes you're using a version
of Office with System Info, and that it's installed.)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Carol Carol is offline

Ok. I'm gonna go out on a limb here. If you just want to see where the
styles are in your document so that you can change them or get rid of them,
why can't you just view the style in the view pane? Tools | Options | View |
Style Area Width and set it to at least 0.5. When you decide you don't want
it any longer you can close it the same way.

--
Carol A. Bratt, MCP

"Bothell writer" wrote:

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Cindy & Carol,

Both of you provided useful advice but neither of you truly addressed the
question. I too, am trying to consolidate styles and formatting in a
document. However, my situation is a little more extreme. I am using Word
2003.

Pages: 310
Characters (with spaces): 284,917

This file also has many images and notes attached to the text.
Unfortunately, the document had many contributors and it was created by
people who don't know about styles and formatting, nor how to insert such
things into a preexisting document without messing up the original document's
styles and formatting.

How do I get printed output naming every style and formatting change,
accompanied with what page it appears on, for example, a document map showing
line by line style and formatting? Is this possible?

Using a a View Pane only presents a very small snapshot of the whole
document. Styles span the length of the document. I need something that
will tie together all the parts of a style/formatted text. Otherwise, I am
doomed to identifying them one by one, line by line, page by page until they
are all consolidated into one common collection of styles. The "Show:
Formatting in use" box reveals dozens of formatting choices, and styles with
very strange naming conventions, where there should only be about 15 choices.

Roy

"Bothell writer" wrote:

Can I print a list of the styles in my current document?
I'm trying to reduce and consolidate the styles. I want to print the style
names, along with their formatting and number of occurrences so I can
methodically go through them and delete or search/replace the styles I dont
want to use.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

How do I get printed output naming every style and formatting change,
accompanied with what page it appears on, for example, a document map

showing
line by line style and formatting? Is this possible?

Only by using a macro, and for that I advise you to ask in the word.vba
newsgroup as it not a simple "I can type it out for you in a couple of
minutes" kind of task. It's something you're going to have to learn how to
program.

Both of you provided useful advice but neither of you truly addressed the
question.

Because this is an end-user newsgroup, and we were providing information
that an end-user can work with without needing to use macros.

Given Word 2003, if you know which styles are allowed, I'd be tempted to
work with the Styles and Formatting task pane. Set it to show all formatting
in use, and make sure the option "Keep track of formatting" is activated in
Tools/Options/Edit. The task pane should now show you all formatting that's
been applied in the document - both styles as well as direct formatting.

Now go to an entry that's "not allowed". Hover the mouse over it, then click
on the arrow that appears at the right. You should see information on how
often it's been used. You should also be able to "Select all (n) instances".
Once you've done this, you can clear the direct formatting (Ctrl+Q,
Ctrl+Spacebar), then click on a style name valid for this formatting and it
will be applied.

Find/Replace will let you find each individual instance of a formatting set.

Personally, I find these tools just as useful, if not more useful, than the
printed format you propose :-)

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Thanks Cindy.

The source of my problem is that I don't know which style goes with which
text. The computer only provides a window into the document. Many of the
styles and formatting I am trying to track down are scattered far apart.
While fixing one, I may be making another worse. I actually deleted an image
when I deleted a style, I think. I really don't know because I cannot jump
from one instance to another. And some of these instances run over 200. If
I had a printout that named every style or formatting for every line or
paragraph on every page, I could systematically clear the formatting and
reapply the new style settings. However, as I continued my research into how
best to deal with this file, I realized I needed a combination approach and
to literally edit the file, line by line, because of where I am finding the
styles and formatting. I have had to create new styles to accommodate some
of the content, as well as reformatting some existing styles.

Thanks for the reply. At least it confirms what I have already learned
today. It is soooo tedious!, but it has to be done.

Roy
"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You *can* "jump from one instance to another" using the Find dialog (by
searching for the given style). You can also select all instances of a given
style using Find All. And you should be able to see "which style goes with
which text" using the Style Area (Normal view only). I believe Jay Freedman
at one point had a macro that would effectively print the contents of the
Style Area (i.e., print the name of the style associated with each
paragraph).

"Roy Sprunger" wrote in message
[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

[...]

or

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

I don't remember writing a macro like that (not that my memory is all
that good g), but this one by Chad DeMeyer turned up in a search of
Google Groups, and it looks like it will do the job:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...03d7404?hl=en&

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 27 Dec 2006 20:03:21 -0600, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Thanks, Guys. I look forward to trying out both your tips. The problem with
printing Style names ONLY is that it ignores any custom formatting. Just
having the Style name, by itself, doesn't help. I'll post what I find out.

Roy

wrote:

[...]

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Roy Sprunger Roy Sprunger is offline

Jay & Suzanne,

The macro worked fine. It did what the article said.

Also, I was wrong when I said, "having the Style name, by itself, doesn't
help.". This document file is in such bad shape, but with a valid need for
unique styles due to the regulatory nature of the document, that every little
bit helps. At the very least, it will help my identify obsolete Styles when
compared to the Style list printout. Meanwhile, it quickly allows me to skip
those areas that are already fine and categorize customized formats that
would be better served being Styles.

Thanks for all your help. It is appreciated.

Roy

wrote:

[...]

Hi ?B?Um95IFNwcnVuZ2Vy?=,