Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
dkline2002 via OfficeKB.com dkline2002 via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Word Styles Changing

Susan,
I have another bit of thought for you, do you look at your document with
the "style area width" turned on? This can only be used when in "normal"
view, but it shows a pane on the left side of your document that shows the
styles used in your document. If you don't know how to get there, you go to
ToolsOptionsView tab and toward the bottom, look for Style Area Width. Set
that to something like 0.7". As far as tables go, this will only show up at
the top of the table, but it might give you a clue if your table style has
changed.
Another thing to watch - when you cut and paste changes from another person,
you may want to reapply your style to that change, just to give an extra
layer of contol. Also, when you save this file, Word may ask you if you want
to save the changes to the template as well, if you KNOW that you haven't
changed anything in the template, say NO.

Dkline

Susan L wrote:
Thank you both, DKli ne and Beth. A lot of people worked on parts of this
document. As a start, I have created a true template (.dot), which is the
preferred way to go.

My colleague and I will investigate the Automatically update document styles
issue. I always keep this turned off, so I forgot what havoc it can wreak!

Thank you so much for responding.
The only way what you are describing can happen is if under Tools/Templates
and Add-ins the "Automatically update document styles" option is checked.

[quoted text clipped - 66 lines]
of
this problem?