Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
joe925c joe925c is offline

Default Cross-Reference

Another conversion WP to Word situation. It appears to cross reference, in
Word , the target must be a "Header" style. When I look at the Styles
provided in Word there are two not named "Header" and some more "Header 1,
Header 2....." When I look at the Header x versus non-Header content, I do
not see any indication it is a Header style. I cannot cross-ref the
non-Header styles for sure. In WP I could mark the target anyplace in the
document (e.g., any character position). Then the name of that target could
be cross referenced by name (e.g., see page 4-12). There was no restriction
that it had to be a Header. How do I denote a style as a header so I can
cross-reference the location?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi joe,

In Word, if you want to cross-reference something that isn't one of Word's inbuilt reference types, simply bookmark whatever you
want to cross-referfence (via Insert|Bookmark) beforehand.

--
Cheers
macropod

"joe925c" wrote in message news
Another conversion WP to Word situation. It appears to cross reference, in
Word , the target must be a "Header" style. When I look at the Styles
provided in Word there are two not named "Header" and some more "Header 1,
Header 2....." When I look at the Header x versus non-Header content, I do
not see any indication it is a Header style. I cannot cross-ref the
non-Header styles for sure. In WP I could mark the target anyplace in the
document (e.g., any character position). Then the name of that target could
be cross referenced by name (e.g., see page 4-12). There was no restriction
that it had to be a Header. How do I denote a style as a header so I can
cross-reference the location?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is only one Header style in Word. The ones you are referring to are
probably Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. In addition to headings, you can
cross-reference numbered items, any defined caption (Table, Figure,
Equation, or user-defined), footnotes and endnotes, and, as macropod has
pointed out, anything you have bookmarked.

In truth, bookmarks are used for all of these, but the built-in categories
are ones for which Word automatically inserts a bookmark. If the item or
location you want to cross-reference doesn't fit into any of those
categories, then you have to insert a bookmark manually.

http://word.mvps.org

"joe925c" wrote in message
news
Another conversion WP to Word situation. It appears to cross reference, in
Word , the target must be a "Header" style. When I look at the Styles
provided in Word there are two not named "Header" and some more "Header 1,
Header 2....." When I look at the Header x versus non-Header content, I do
not see any indication it is a Header style. I cannot cross-ref the
non-Header styles for sure. In WP I could mark the target anyplace in the
document (e.g., any character position). Then the name of that target
could
be cross referenced by name (e.g., see page 4-12). There was no
restriction
that it had to be a Header. How do I denote a style as a header so I can
cross-reference the location?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
joe925c joe925c is offline

macropod and Suzanne,

Thanks for your replies. It works and is so easy once you know how! I have a
few other questions on other items but will wait until I get back home next
week.