Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Excelerate-nl Excelerate-nl is offline

Default Watermark moves with margins

How can I lock the position of a Watermark in the background without it being
moved if margins (left or right) are changed?

Thank you for responding,

Jan Bart
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Watermark moves with margins

Hi Jan Bart,

I understand that you want to lock the position of a watermark in Microsoft Word so that it stays in the same place even if you change the margins. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Insert your watermark by going to the "Design" tab and clicking on "Watermark" in the "Page Background" group.
  2. Choose the watermark you want to use and insert it into your document.
  3. Right-click on the watermark and select "Format Picture" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Format Picture" pane, click on the "Layout & Properties" tab.
  5. Under the "Properties" section, check the box next to "Lock anchor."
  6. Click on the "Advanced" button next to "Lock anchor" and select "Don't move object" from the drop-down menu.
  7. Click "OK" to close the "Advanced Layout" dialog box.
  8. Click "Close" to close the "Format Picture" pane.

Now your watermark is locked in place and won't move if you change the margins. If you need to move the watermark, you can unlock it by following the same steps and unchecking the "Lock anchor" box.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Excelerate-nl wrote:
How can I lock the position of a Watermark in the background without
it being moved if margins (left or right) are changed?

Thank you for responding,

Jan Bart

- Open the header pane (because watermarks are anchored to headers, so the
header pane must be active to get access to the watermark).

- Right-click the watermark and choose Format WordArt or Format Picture (one
or the other will be on the context menu).

- In the dialog, click the Layout tab, and click the Advanced button there.

- Change the alignment from "centered relative to Margin" to "centered
relative to Page".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
John John is offline

Jay, thanks so much for this tip...I was tearing my hair out!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
David Quiroz David Quiroz is offline

I just wanted to let you that 1 1/2 years after you posted this it is still
helping people. It saved me from about an hour of frustration.

Thanks!!!!!!!!!

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Excelerate-nl wrote:
How can I lock the position of a Watermark in the background without
it being moved if margins (left or right) are changed?

Thank you for responding,

Jan Bart

- Open the header pane (because watermarks are anchored to headers, so the
header pane must be active to get access to the watermark).

- Right-click the watermark and choose Format WordArt or Format Picture (one
or the other will be on the context menu).

- In the dialog, click the Layout tab, and click the Advanced button there.

- Change the alignment from "centered relative to Margin" to "centered
relative to Page".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Others Others is offline

I used this to fix the bottom margin, but it did not fix the top one. Any
other ideas? Btw, I'm using Office 2003...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You're welcome!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Excelerate-nl wrote:
How can I lock the position of a Watermark in the background without
it being moved if margins (left or right) are changed?

Thank you for responding,

Jan Bart

- Open the header pane (because watermarks are anchored to headers, so the
header pane must be active to get access to the watermark).

- Right-click the watermark and choose Format WordArt or Format Picture (one
or the other will be on the context menu).

- In the dialog, click the Layout tab, and click the Advanced button there.

- Change the alignment from "centered relative to Margin" to "centered
relative to Page".

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Microsoft Word MVP FAQ:
http://word.mvps.org

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Did you set the alignment as both horizontally and vertically centered?

http://word.mvps.org

"Others" wrote in message
I used this to fix the bottom margin, but it did not fix the top one. Any
other ideas? Btw, I'm using Office 2003...

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You're welcome!

--

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

[...]