Word 2007 Indented paragraph doesn't indent first line on next pag

Old August 21st 08, 04:06 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ssummsm

Default Word 2007 Indented paragraph doesn't indent first line on next pag

A paragraph that is set to be indented and that flows over to the next page
does not have the first line on the next page indented. This line, usually
just a continuation of a sentence on the previous page where the paragraph
starts, has moved to the left margin. The next line of the paragraph -whether
or not part of the same sentence- are indented again
Old August 21st 08, 04:23 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I assume you are referring to a hanging indent? Are you sure there is not a
paragraph break? Or have you inserted a manual page break? If so, that
includes a paragraph break.

Old August 21st 08, 05:32 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ssummsm

Default Word 2007 Indented paragraph doesn't indent first line on next

Thank you for responding. It is actually a full paragraph indentation which
should have no oddities. Here are no paragraph breaks or manual page breaks.
If I could attach an image I could show you the pages with all relevant
formatting marks shown. In one case I stumbled around with Styles and got rid
of it but can't seem to reproduce this.

It also happens with a paragraph that is fully indented that starts at the
top of a page --the first line looks like a hanging indent even though the
paragraph formatting indicates no special indents.

Old August 21st 08, 12:36 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
grammatim[_2_]

What do you mean by "fully indented"? Are you not talking about the
first line at all?

Old August 21st 08, 02:18 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

He means that the paragraph has a positive left indent. Every line is
indented (or should be). The article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm addresses the
opposite problem, but I'm at a loss to come up with an explanation for this
situation.

Old August 24th 08, 07:18 AM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ssummsm

I finallly figured out what it was, with some help from a vaguely remembered
discussion of something similar, perhaps on this site of somewhere else.

The document had been numbered by a previous version of WORD. WORD 2007 can
only un-number what it itself has numbered. The `old' number was in the
Header. When I finally opened the headers to edit them I deleted the numbers
AND THE `FRAME' IN WHICH THEY WERE CONTAINED and the peculiar displacement of
the first-line-of-the-page -but not of the paragraph- disappeared.

Pardon the delay in geting back to you. I wasn't getting the email alert of
more responses anymore. I just came back here to give this solution. Also
when I clicked on the link in the first such email alert it only opened MSIE
and gave me a blank page, not this discussion.

--
Suzanne S. Barnhil

Old August 24th 08, 03:26 PM posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This is the situation described in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...lyIndented.htm, which I
believe I referenced earlier in the thread, but I fail to see how it could
cause a first line *not* to be indented.