Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Janet A. Thompson Janet A. Thompson is offline

Default HELP Missing Section Number Messes pg numbering

My document goes from Section 3 to Section 5. The early section break types
are Next Page but later in the doc there are some continuous breaks where
graphics have been inserted. Due to missing Section 4, the page numbering is
not sequential.
How to fix!
--
Janet A.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: HELP Missing Section Number Messes pg numbering

Hi Janet,

I understand the frustration of having messed up page numbering in your document. Fortunately, there is a way to fix this issue.

Here are the steps you can follow:
  1. Go to the page where Section 3 ends and Section 5 begins.
  2. Place your cursor on the first page of Section 5.
  3. Click on the Page Layout tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  4. Click on the Breaks button in the Page Setup section.
  5. Select the Next Page option under Section Breaks.
  6. This will create a new section and a new header and footer for Section 4.
  7. Go to the header or footer of Section 4 and add the section number (i.e. "Section 4") using the Header & Footer Tools Design tab.
  8. If you have any page numbers in the header or footer, you will need to reset them for Section 4. To do this, click on the Page Number button in the Header & Footer Tools Design tab and select the format you want.
  9. Repeat steps 7 and 8 for any subsequent sections that may have been affected by the missing Section 4.

By following these steps, you should be able to fix the page numbering issue in your document. Let me know if you have any questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.

Best regards,

[Your Name]
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Section 4 is not "missing"; it's just not accessible from the header/footer
because it's in the middle of a page. Place the insertion point between the
Continuous breaks that define Section 4 and use Format Page Number. This is
easy if you have Word 2007 (it is directly accessible from the Ribbon). In
an earlier version, use Insert | Page Numbers | Format. Change numbering to
"Continue from previous section," OK, Close.

http://word.mvps.org

"Janet A. Thompson" wrote in message
My document goes from Section 3 to Section 5. The early section break
types
are Next Page but later in the doc there are some continuous breaks where
graphics have been inserted. Due to missing Section 4, the page numbering
is
not sequential.
How to fix!
--
Janet A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Janet A. Thompson Janet A. Thompson is offline

I'm not explaining clearly.

In Section 3 there are 2 continuous breaks in the middle of the page and
footer shows the correct page number as 10
The next page shows that it is section 5 and the page number in the footer
is 2.
The page 1 is totally missing and it is jumping section 4.

I did a search as you suggested but it was not found.
THANKS for your help.
--
Janet A.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Lindsey Narloch Lindsey Narloch is offline

Default Send me the document as an attachment and I will fix it.

I am having a similar problem and unable to fix the numbering where there is a break in the numbering of the sections.

I would appreciate any advice.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

On Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:32 PM Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:

Send me the document as an attachment and I will fix it. I guarantee you the
problem is as I have described.

http://word.mvps.org

Deb O'Neill Deb O'Neill is offline
Junior Member

I read this and thought I was finally saved!!!!! My columns in the middle of a page are a continuous section. I placed my cursor like you said - between the continuous break and did format page number. Unfortunately, that changes my page number in the header - even though that is section 3 and my columns are section 4. So, this did not help! I'm going nuts with a 500 page document. It only had 3 sections which was managed fine. Now that I have columns in there, the pages just follow the columns, so everything now starts at 2. I don't want to manually change all the numbers. Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzanne S. Barnhill View Post
[...]

navr navr is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet A. Thompson View Post
My document goes from Section 3 to Section 5. The early section break types
are Next Page but later in the doc there are some continuous breaks where
graphics have been inserted. Due to missing Section 4, the page numbering is
not sequential.
How to fix!
--
Janet A.
This is a bug in MS Word 2010, probably other versions as well. For some reason it only happens in transition from Section 3 to Section 4 (it skips 4 and goes straight to Section 5). Stupid, stupid Microsoft.