master_objectist

Default Make Word's "Proper Case" tool work properly

When pressing Shift-F3 in Word to adjust the case of the selected text, the
"Proper Case" function has never worked properly. To wit, it always
capitalizes the first letter of every word instead of capitalizing the words
that should be capitalized in a title. For instance, it would capitalize "How
to Be Attractive to the Woman You Love" as "How To Be Attractive To The Woman
You Love," ignoring the fact that the two uses of the preposition "to" and
the article "the" should not be capitalized unless they are the first word of
the title, which in this case they are not. Word has been around well over 10
years, and in that time, this really should have been fixed. It's little
things like this that make Microsoft look like they can't see the forest for
the trees and like they're too busy managing their stock price to sell
competently-developed software. Take a step back and clean it up, and then
take another step back and clean up all the errors in the link libraries for
your various development environments. There are plenty of people around who
are quite capable with x86 assembly language, and a crew of 10 could clean
those libraries up within a quarter, and you'd be shocked at how much smaller
and faster everything would run if you did, not to mention secure and
bug-free. I know it can be done because I was part of a crew that did it once
with the Microsoft C libraries. The finished libaries were one-third the size
of the originals, bug-free, and executed about 30 times faster than the
originals, and we did nothing but strip out redundant and inert code and fix
what was left so that it worked as the manual said that it should. This was
in 1992 or so, and it still hasn't been done at Microsoft 13 years later. If
we could do it, with the little time and resources we had, there's no reason
why a company the size of Microsoft can't. Stop piling on the "Band-Aids" and
heal the wounds.

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Pat Garard

My! My!
A tantrum yet!
Can we watch, or do we have to pay?
Is it private or can anyone join in?
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"master_objectist" wrote in message
news
[...]

master_objectist

Tantrum? Dude, I don't know what you're smoking, but it's rotting your brain.
There was no angst indicated in anything that I wrote, nor was there any
present when I wrote it. It's simply a statement of fact followed by some
encouragement by virtue of the task having already been done, by a couple of
kids in the back room of a crappy office with nothing resembling the
resources that Microsoft can bring to bear on this problem. If you're looking
to stir up trouble, you've chosen the wrong place to do it, because about all
you've stirred up is evidence that you either can't read or like to read blog
postings when you're stoned. Try again when you're in better shape.

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Pat Garard

....and the best defence is.....

You make a good point about Proper Case .....
.....then......
.....you rant, Sir!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"Pat Garard" wrote:

[...]

Klaus Linke

[...] I would second this suggestion.

Probably won't count if you're not using the web interface.
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx for those that
haven't used it yet)

At least that still showed "not rated yet"...

:-) Klaus
[BTW: I agreed, so it should show at least one vote now]

Anne Troy

But don't they count double? Especially coming from you!
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I did not expect it to be counted. It was a philosophical vote only!

so
all may benefit.

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
[...] I would second this suggestion.

Probably won't count if you're not using the web interface.
(http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...s/default.mspx for those

that
haven't used it yet)

At least that still showed "not rated yet"...

:-) Klaus
[BTW: I agreed, so it should show at least one vote now]

Nah, I'm not sure they really "count" even if posted in the approved way.
Now that I've got DSL, I guess I ought to force myself to go to the
Communities Web portal and do some voting and marking. If only that were the
least of my problems, though--just spent over an hour on the phone with Dell
Tech Support about my monitor, which keeps blacking out. I was hoping for a
new monitor, but I guess I'm going to have to bleed a bit more to get that.

"Anne Troy" wrote in message
But don't they count double? Especially coming from you!
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
I did not expect it to be counted. It was a philosophical vote only!

newsgroup
so
all may benefit.