GSelser

Default opening and changing a document by multiple people at the same tim

I have a question about open documents being overwritten by other users.

I open a Text (.txt) document from a location on my file server. Another
user opens the same document from the same location. Both of us have the same
rights and access to the .txt document. We can both save and change the
document without any problems. we can even delete the document while the
other is still accessing it. When he goes to save the changes, it will prompt
him to save it like it is a new document.

Now if the document is a rich text (.rtf) or word document (.doc) , when the
other users tries to open the .doc document, which you already have open,
then he gets a warning that the document is already being accessed and that
he can only view it as read only.

What I want to know is what is it about a Flat Text (.txt) file that allows
it too be over written when 2 people are using it versus most other documents
that will only allow one person to be able to have the ability to write too
it during dual access?

Also does this only apply to .txt documents or are there other kinds of data
that allows muultiple people to open and change it at the same time.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanks
Glenn