Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

Default Creating TOC

Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that has been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the Name of the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number in my TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Not from the header, no, because Word wouldn't know what page number to
assign. If the chapter names are headings in the document, you can repeat
them in the header using a StyleRef field (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm). You can apply outline
numbering to TOC entries (by adding it to the TOC styles).

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that has

been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the Name of

the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number in my

TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use

standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

We have no problem pulling the chapter names from Heading 1 styles. And the
associated page numbers pull without a problem. We just want to be able to
pull the section number that is text that is typed into the header that
describes the section numbering. We are not using outline numbering since I
think this is an older document to which many sections are not obsolete.

So I am able to create the TOC with the Chapter Name and page number. What
I need to add to it is this text from the headER area. I guess if you think
of it in terms of being any text someone may have put in the headER and
forget that it looks like outline numbering.

I know it sounds awful and I have pleaded with them to change it but they
wont.

I thought I could possibly mark the header text with TC field

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that has

been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the Name of

the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number in my

TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use

standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you already have the chapter name and page number in the TOC, then all
you need to do is add outline numbering to the TOC styles as previously
suggested. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Not from the header, no, because Word wouldn't know what page number to
assign. If the chapter names are headings in the document, you can

repeat
them in the header using a StyleRef field (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm). You can apply outline
numbering to TOC entries (by adding it to the TOC styles).

Email cannot be acknowledged; please post all follow-ups to the newsgrou

p so
all may benefit.

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that has

been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the Name

of
the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number in

my
TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use

standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

Maybe I am not doing a good job explaining what we are trying to do.

I need a TOC that looks like this

1.5.2 New Program 4
3.2 All about us 6
4.1.2 Not about us 8
1.7.2 Old Program 10

Where these numbers that are not in any specific order are pulled from the
header (footer) of each part of this document. The document parts are
already numbered and cannot be changed. They are not consecutive or
consistant.

..

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that has
been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the Name

of
the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number in

my
TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use
standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In that case, I suspect you will have to either build the TOC based on TC
fields or create it by hand.

news

.
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If you already have the chapter name and page number in the TOC, then

all
you need to do is add outline numbering to the TOC styles as previously
suggested. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/T...mberedHeadings

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Not from the header, no, because Word wouldn't know what page number

assign. If the chapter names are headings in the document, you can

repeat
them in the header using a StyleRef field (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/StyleRef.htm). You can apply

outline
numbering to TOC entries (by adding it to the TOC styles).

newsgrou
p so
all may benefit.

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that

has
been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the

Name
of
the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number

in
my
TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use
standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Vicky Vicky is offline

Thank you! Yes, I will. How do I do that when I need to pull text from the
Header area as well as Heading 1? I realize it is probably an extensive
topic. Can you direct me to a resource? Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, I suspect you will have to either build the TOC based on TC
fields or create it by hand.

news

"Vicky" wrote in message
Is it possible to pull information into the table of contents that

has
been
typed in the header area? For instance I would like to have the

Name
of
the
Chapter, the section number (from the header) and the page number

in
my
TOC
Section Title Page
1.2 Chapter 1 name 4
1.2.1 Chapter 2 name 10

Unfortunately the person who put this large doc together didnt use
standard
outline numbering.

Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look in Word's Help under "Field codes: TC (Table of Contents Entry) field."
For each heading, you'll need to enter the appropriate TC field. Then create
the TOC with "Table entry fields" checked in the TOC Options and "Styles"
and "Outline levels" not checked.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

In that case, I suspect you will have to either build the TOC based on

TC
fields or create it by hand.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.