Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binghamjc binghamjc is offline

Default Setting tabs by dragging on the horizontal ruler

I recently installed Word 2003 on a new computer, now setting tabs by
dragging on the horizontal ruler does not work the way that it always has
before. On all the other installations that I have I can drag a tab and drop
it at 1/16 of an inch increments. On this new installation I cannot do that
any longer. It appears that the increment is .13 inches. How can I get this
to allow me to set the tabs at 1/16 inch increments?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

The interval on the ruler is determined by the grid setting. Display
the Drawing toolbar, click the Draw button at its left end, and select
Grid from the menu. In the dialog, set the horizontal grid spacing to
0.0625" and click OK.

Word generally rounds to the nearest 0.01", so you'll get a spacing
0.06". You can adjust the location with greater precision by holding
the Alt key while you drag the tab stop.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Wed, 21 Mar 2007 18:55:16 -0700, binghamjc
wrote:

I recently installed Word 2003 on a new computer, now setting tabs by
dragging on the horizontal ruler does not work the way that it always has
before. On all the other installations that I have I can drag a tab and drop
it at 1/16 of an inch increments. On this new installation I cannot do that
any longer. It appears that the increment is .13 inches. How can I get this
to allow me to set the tabs at 1/16 inch increments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

G'Day JC,

Living in Oz, I use only cm. - not that that makes any difference since the
underlying calculations within Word are always in inches.

For as long as I can remember (and certainly for Word Xp and Word 2002) the
DEFAULT Tab stops have been at 1/2 inch and the drag intervals have been at
1/12 inch and never at 1/16 inch.

You can set Tabs more precisely using FormatTabs or holding down ALT
while you drag.

You can also change the DEFAULT (1/2 inch) Tab stop using FormatTabs,
but I know of no way to change the drag interval.

I can (and do) change the default Tab stop to 1cm, but dragging still moves by
1/12 inch!!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

"binghamjc" wrote in message
I recently installed Word 2003 on a new computer, now setting tabs by
dragging on the horizontal ruler does not work the way that it always has
before. On all the other installations that I have I can drag a tab and drop
it at 1/16 of an inch increments. On this new installation I cannot do that
any longer. It appears that the increment is .13 inches. How can I get this
to allow me to set the tabs at 1/16 inch increments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pat Garard Pat Garard is offline

So!
Now I DO know - AND I can set it in cm.!
--
Regards,
Pat Garard

wrote:

I recently installed Word 2003 on a new computer, now setting tabs by
dragging on the horizontal ruler does not work the way that it always has
before. On all the other installations that I have I can drag a tab and drop
it at 1/16 of an inch increments. On this new installation I cannot do that
any longer. It appears that the increment is .13 inches. How can I get this
to allow me to set the tabs at 1/16 inch increments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binghamjc binghamjc is offline

Jay,

Thanks for the information, but I don't believe it is true. Here is why.
On my computer that does allow me to drag to 1/16 inch intervals the grid
increments in the grid menu are set at .13.

BinghamJC

wrote:

I recently installed Word 2003 on a new computer, now setting tabs by
dragging on the horizontal ruler does not work the way that it always has
before. On all the other installations that I have I can drag a tab and drop
it at 1/16 of an inch increments. On this new installation I cannot do that
any longer. It appears that the increment is .13 inches. How can I get this
to allow me to set the tabs at 1/16 inch increments?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
binghamjc binghamjc is offline

The real answer to this is that disabling Snap to Grid in the Drawing Grid
dialogue will allow the tabs to be set at 1/16 inch increments.
Thanks Jay Freedman for getting me into the correct, all be it obscure,
location for changing the operation of Word.