Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] guanzhi@gmail.com is offline

Default Filename Extensions

Is there some way to keep Word 2003 from apending a ".doc" extension to
a document filename when you save it? For some things, I like to use an
extension that allows me to sort by date. However, to ensure
compatability
between different operating systems, and also to make recovery simpler
if thre should be a system or hard drive crash, I want to stick to the
DOS
8.3 file naming convention. When I save a file in Word 2003, it insists
on
adding ".doc" to the filename. I know that I can then go back and
delete
it but that is extra unnecessary work.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

When you enter the name in the File Save As dialog, put double quotes
around it. That will prevent Word from adding the .doc extension.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman