Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

Default Why is file read-only?

Typically, saving a new doc is no problem. But occasionally, Word
will refuse to save changes, informing me that the doc is read-only. I
save docs the same way all the time (CTRL-S, or exit, then click Yes
to save), no idea why some of them suddenly become read-only. ???

--

A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul.

....George Bernard Shaw

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Typically, saving a new doc is no problem. But occasionally, Word
will refuse to save changes, informing me that the doc is read-only. I
save docs the same way all the time (CTRL-S, or exit, then click Yes
to save), no idea why some of them suddenly become read-only. ???

Has the doc in question been copied back from a CD? Such files are always
read-only by default, and you need to remove the flag before opening.

Nope, these are docs created directly in Word, using .txt files added
thru Insert File. I insert the files, then save the doc. Then,
after making a few changes, I save the doc again. It doesn't happen
all the time, but maybe once a week or so I'll get a message that I
can't save the doc after the changes, because the file is read-only.

Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity
opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment.

Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions.

....Albert Einstein
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown Stan Brown is offline

Sat, 02 Dec 2006 06:42:42 -0800 from Steve :
"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Typically, saving a new doc is no problem. But occasionally, Word
will refuse to save changes, informing me that the doc is read-only. I
save docs the same way all the time (CTRL-S, or exit, then click Yes
to save), no idea why some of them suddenly become read-only. ???

Has the doc in question been copied back from a CD? Such files are always
read-only by default, and you need to remove the flag before opening.

Nope, these are docs created directly in Word, using .txt files added
thru Insert File. I insert the files, then save the doc. Then,
after making a few changes, I save the doc again. It doesn't happen
all the time, but maybe once a week or so I'll get a message that I
can't save the doc after the changes, because the file is read-only.

I get that in Excel occasionally -- I always just chalked it up to
Office quirks.

Assuming the doc isn't actually read only (as others suggested), save
under a different name, exit the program (all windows), and then copy
over the document you're trying to change -- that usually does it.
Worst case, I've logged off and logged on again, then reopened the
program.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Steve Steve is offline

Stan Brown wrote:
Typically, saving a new doc is no problem. But occasionally, Word
will refuse to save changes, informing me that the doc is read-only. I
save docs the same way all the time (CTRL-S, or exit, then click Yes
to save), no idea why some of them suddenly become read-only. ???

I get that in Excel occasionally -- I always just chalked it up to
Office quirks.
Assuming the doc isn't actually read only (as others suggested), save
under a different name, exit the program (all windows), and then copy
over the document you're trying to change -- that usually does it.

Thanks Stan, that's what I do (actually, I save it under a different
name, then delete the original and rename the new file). But this
happens pretty regularly, and it sure would be nice to figure out
why...