Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Default How to center text within graphic in mail merge labels

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up to the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly explain how
exactly this can be done please?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

I should also have added that I would like the text to be in the foreground
centered, and the graphic to be in the background. The graphic is from
clipart.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up to the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly explain how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Thank you for the link. Unfortunately, I do not fully understand it. The
explains shows the procedure for formatting Wordart. I want to insert an
angel image from clipart and have the text centered and have the angel image
on the background. Is there a step by step way to be shown how to do this
please?

Many Thanks

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up to

the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly explain

how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Paste the clipart into a label, select it and then from the format menu,
select Picture and on the Format Picture dialog, go to the Layout tab and
select the Behind Text option. You may want to go the the Size tab and
uncheck the Lock aspect ratio control so that you can drag the borders of
the picture to fill the cell completely. You will need to turn on the
Drawing toolbar and click on the Select objects button at the left hand end
of the toolbar to be able to select the picture once you had sent it behind
the text. You may want to set the Picture to "Washout" using the Picture
tab of the Format Picture dialog.

Once you have the picture the way that you want, you can copy it to the
other labels and you can just enter and align your text on the labels as if
the picture was not there.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

so
all may benefit.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up

top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I
press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain

how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Thank you for your instructions. I have got so far and am stuck at the bit
where I have to copy the edited/washedout image onto the other labels. This
label is the very first one, the top left hand one. When I click on copy and
go to paste it onto the empty labels, it automatically jumps back to paste on
top of the edited label and it appears as the "unwashed" one. What have I
dont wrong?

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I
press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Thanks for your detailed reply. I have got as far as the bit where I have to
copy the edited/washedout image onto the rest of the labels on the page.
When I click copy and go to the other labels and select paste, it
automatically jumps back to the first label and pastes it on top and it
appears as the unwashed image.

What have I done wrong?

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am trying
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text jumps up
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I
press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

This is explained in the link posted earlier. The fact that I chose to use
Word Art is really irrelevant. This is just a type of graphic. Once you have
the graphic in the first label revert to the procedure shown in that link
http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm . A workaround for the problem
you are having is described there below the watermark images

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I
press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Okay Many thanks Graham! I have now cracked it. I have my angel graphic set
behind the text and have my text in front. There is only one problem now, I
have centred my text but instead of the text being centred at the top of the
label, I want it centred back smack in the middle of my angel graphic. When
I press enter, thinking this will move the text down a line or so, the entire
thing, text and graphic move down together. How can I just get the text to
move down a tad?

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work. If I
press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Tables use Normal style - Because of the difficulties of combining floating
images and text in labels I would be inclined to reformat normal style for
this document to include sufficient 'space before' inthe paragraph format of
the style to push the text down to where you want it, then use shift+enter
to break the lines.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Paste the clipart into a label, select it and then from the format
menu, select Picture and on the Format Picture dialog, go to the
Layout tab and select the Behind Text option. You may want to go
the the Size tab and uncheck the Lock aspect ratio control so that
you can drag the borders of the picture to fill the cell
completely. You will need to turn on the Drawing toolbar and click
on the Select objects button at the left hand end of the toolbar
to be able to select the picture once you had sent it behind the
text. You may want to set the Picture to "Washout" using the
Picture tab of the Format Picture dialog.

Once you have the picture the way that you want, you can copy it to
the other labels and you can just enter and align your text on the
labels as if the picture was not there.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of
my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work.
If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
laceyjo laceyjo is offline

Ok I could not fathom that bit out sorry. Instead, I have cheated. I
formatted the graphic how I wanted it, saved it as autotext. Then printed
out a whole sheet of labels with the graphic. Then opened up a new document
and inserted the text I required, then the labels with the graphics printed
on them, I insterted them into the printer and voila! I just didn't follow
the correct procedure.

Thanks for your help.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work.
If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

By default, labels are vertically centered, but I believe that inserting
wrapped graphics maybe messes with this? I would be inclined to apply Space
Before as direct formatting (not bothering with modifying Normal for a
one-off doc), but I always use line breaks in labels, anyway.

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to be
centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work.
If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone possibly
explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

On reflection I would do this too

"laceyjo" wrote:

I am doing a mail merge for labels for Christmas cards. I am
trying to
insert a graphic but I want the address that I have typed to
be centred
within the graphic. At the moment, when I do this, the text
jumps up to
the
top of the graphic and if I try and cut/paste it wont work.
If I press
enter, the entire document moves down. Could someone
possibly explain
how
exactly this can be done please?

printing difficultiies using mail merge in word flybynight Mailmerge 1 December 3rd 06 06:58 PM
Mail merge to continuous labels skips labels between pages Devon Stout Mailmerge 8 July 10th 06 07:11 PM
Mail Merge - Labels - Text Direction Pen Harris Mailmerge 1 March 22nd 05 09:31 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Why can't I use Mail Merge Wizard with Avery 2160 labels?. Andy39 Mailmerge 1 December 10th 04 02:19 AM