Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Robert11 Robert11 is offline

Default Question On Creating A Table ?

Hello,

Have a document with many lines of text in it.

Each line starts with a number, and then some text.

I would like to copy all of this into another WORD document, but into a
Table (having 2 columns) in that document.

The numbers would go in one column, and then the text in the other column.

I would then be able, I believe, to copy each column individually such that
I can then Paste it into a spreadsheet.
Am I correct in believing I could copy just a single column from the two
columns in the Table I created ?

If so, I have never used Tables in WORD.

Not too sharp with this stuff.

How (exacxtly please) would I do this ?

Thanks,
B.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

The may be several ways to achieve this but it depends on how the rows are
formatted and set out. For instance, if there is a stop or tab following
each number, then you can simply select the rows of text and use the Table,
Convert Text to Table command using the Stop or Tab as the column separator.

Alternatively, if all the numbers are in a neat vertical column on the left,
you can make a vertical selection using the mouse and cut the numbers
leaving rows of text. The rows of text can then be entered into a single
column table using the Convert Text to Table command. Then simply add a new
column to the left and AutoFill the column to number the rows.

Other methods (that I am sure others will advise) would be to copy and paste
into Excel (very easy to get the desired table then and copy it to the new
document), use Edit Find and Replace to insert a tab after the numbers to
make the convert text to table easier and a whole load of other methods. It
all depends on how your rows are set out.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP