Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Lynn

Default Template text fields locked out

I created a template today. A form with certain areas that are for fill in
only by users. I used the text field form icon to insert in the document the
variable areas to be filled in by users. Standard text is not to be edited.
I chose to protect the original .dot template; I created by password to
restriction "fill in only", and I also protected the form. However, when you
go into File, New, and choose the template (which I thought is retreiving a
"copy" of the original for the user to work with and thus save) the user is
blocked from and cannot even fill in the fill in fields without the password
request appearing. I did not exercise Read Only, I granted access as
"restricted to fill in" option so shouldn't users be able to access the fill
in fields with text. what am I doing wrong here?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?THlubg==?=,

Version of Word involved? did you use the FORMS toolbar, or the Controls
Toolbox? Your description says "form", but the behavior you describe sounds more
like the Controls Toolbox...

WHERE did you set the password? In Tools/OPtions/Save or somewhere else?

I created a template today. A form with certain areas that are for fill in
only by users. I used the text field form icon to insert in the document the
variable areas to be filled in by users. Standard text is not to be edited.
I chose to protect the original .dot template; I created by password to
restriction "fill in only", and I also protected the form. However, when you
go into File, New, and choose the template (which I thought is retreiving a
"copy" of the original for the user to work with and thus save) the user is
blocked from and cannot even fill in the fill in fields without the password
request appearing. I did not exercise Read Only, I granted access as
"restricted to fill in" option so shouldn't users be able to access the fill
in fields with text. what am I doing wrong here?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)