Steve Pohlit

Default How do I activate File and Tools on the menu bar?

For some reason these two items on the menu bar are no longer active. They
have worked fine and now they don't. Any ideas. Since i am not able to go
into tools I cannot check settings.
Jim Palik

Hi Steve,

Are you using a custom template. If you are, It sounds as if someone may
have locked you out of those functions. If you are not, you might want to go
to Word's Templates directory and delete your normal.dot. and let word create
a new one.

Note - that if you have customized your normal.dot or saved shortcuts to
your normal.dot you should copy it to a new file name. This is the equivilant
of deleting it. Word will create a new one. The new normal.dot will not
contain any of your customizations. If this works, you will have to re-enter
your customizations.

Jim
--
Never at a loss for Word

"Steve Pohlit" wrote:

For some reason these two items on the menu bar are no longer active. They
have worked fine and now they don't. Any ideas. Since i am not able to go
into tools I cannot check settings.

CyberTaz

Hi Steve-

Unfortunately, the excellent page Anne directed you to approaches only from
the direction of the Tools Menu, which you say is among the missing. You
can, however, get there in other ways.

Go to ViewToolbarsCustomize. This is another way to get to the same dialog
box as ToolsCustomize, and you can also get there by right-clicking any
menubar/toolbar and selecting Customize.

Make certain to click on the name of the menu bar, then click the Reset
button.

If that doesn't work, go to the Commands page of the dialog box, locate
"Built-in Menus' in the commands list and then drag the necessary menus to
the menu bar.

Should neither of these options get it right, something more 'drastic' may
need to be done.

Good Luck |:)

On 7/22/05 8:45 PM, in article
, "Steve Pohlit" Steve
wrote:

For some reason these two items on the menu bar are no longer active. They
have worked fine and now they don't. Any ideas. Since i am not able to go
into tools I cannot check settings.

Anne Troy

Thanks, CyberTaz! I meant to add the right-click thing... have now added it.
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

wrote:

For some reason these two items on the menu bar are no longer active.

They
have worked fine and now they don't. Any ideas. Since i am not able to

go
into tools I cannot check settings.

CyberTaz

No problem, Anne. If _anyone_ could think of _everything_ there would be no
need for anybody else. I'm just glad you didn't mind me 'hijacking' your
post

Regards |:)

wrote:

For some reason these two items on the menu bar are no longer active.

They
have worked fine and now they don't. Any ideas. Since i am not able to

go
into tools I cannot check settings.

Anne Troy

Hijack away, baby!! (And if you see anything wrong with my articles--that
is--if you do look--please don't hesitate to yell!)
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com