Wallace

Default Endnote references in a document and in multiple appendices

We regularly produce long documents that often have several appendices. We
want to use Word's endnotes, and we want the endnote references to appear at
the end of the main document, or, if the appendices have references, at the
end of the appropriate appendix. But Word endnotes appear to have only two
of a document. Because the main document or an appendix can have several
sections (e.g., figures, landscaped tables, columns) inserting the references
at the end of those sections will not work, nor will inserting them all at
the end of the document (i.e., after all the appendices). How do we get Word
endnotes to insert the references at the end of the main document, and at the
end of each appendix? I should note that after reading the Master Document
horror stories I'm not sure that's the answer. Thanks in advance for any help
you can offer.
--
Wallace
garfield-n-odie

Set your endnotes to appear at the end of each section, and suppress endnotes
in the sections where you don't want them to appear. The suppressed endnotes
will automatically appear in the next section where endnotes are not
suppressed.

Example: Let's say you have a document containing five sections; sections
1, 2, and 3 comprise the main document, section 4 is Appendix A, and sections
5 and 6 are Appendix B. Set the endnotes to appear at the end of each
section. Click somewhere in section 1, and click on File | Page Setup |
Layout | check the "Suppress endnotes" box | OK. Click somewhere in section
2 and do the same thing. Click somewhere in section 5 and do the same thing.
Endnotes from sections 1 and 2 will appear at the end of section 3, endnotes
for section 4 will appear at the end of section 4, and endnotes from sections
5 and 6 will appear at the end of section 6.