AndyBear

Default Bookmarks appearing in HTML Format document links

Greetings,

I am using Word 2003 now (2000 up to now) and I am finding that when I:
select text in a source document that contains bookmarks; swap to my target
document; select 'Edit' | 'Paste Special' and 'HTML Format' & 'Paste Link' -
I end up with the nice html formatted hyperlink as I did in 2000, but now,
the bookmarks from the source document show up [] in the link *and* they have
been copied to the target document as real bookmark entries (i.e. show up in
the Bookmark list ('Insert' | 'Bookmarks')). This never used to happen.
Please tell me there is a way to stop the bookmarks being copied over when
the links are being created. Also happens if I update an existing link by the
way. These are Word 2000 format documents I'm having problems with but it
also seems to happen with new documents created with 2003.

PS Turning 'View Bookmarks' on / off in the source / target documents didn't
help. Removes the problem from view but doesn't affect the copy and paste
link behaviour.

PPS I assume Word 2000 might have done this too - but they were always
'hidden bookmarks' so I never saw it?

Thanks all.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW5keUJlYXI=?=,

I am using Word 2003 now (2000 up to now) and I am finding that when I:
select text in a source document that contains bookmarks; swap to my target
document; select 'Edit' | 'Paste Special' and 'HTML Format' & 'Paste Link' -
I end up with the nice html formatted hyperlink as I did in 2000, but now,
the bookmarks from the source document show up [] in the link *and* they have
been copied to the target document as real bookmark entries (i.e. show up in
the Bookmark list ('Insert' | 'Bookmarks')). This never used to happen

Indeed, all versions of Word, back through 6.0, have done this. The only time
you might not have picked up the bookmarks is if they already existed in the
target file.

but they were always
'hidden bookmarks' so I never saw it?

Possibly. That would depend on how they're named; bookmarks with names beginning
with an underscore won't be visible unless the "Hidden bookmarks" checkbox is
activated (deactivated and reactivated). I do believe Word 2003 tends to display
more bookmarks than Word 2000 did, but I've never really thought about the
details, because I like seeing bookmarks.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

AndyBear

The one thing that pre-2003 versions of Word did not do was 'copy' the
bookmarks from the source file into the target file when the link between the
source and target files was formed. But I guess the comment about 2003
showing more bookmarks than before addresses this too.

It just seems a little silly/wrong as:
a) When you look in the list of bookmarks for a file you can't tell anymore
which bookmarks are the 'master' ones - i.e. which ones really do originate
from the current source file - rather than some source document you have
linked to where those links contain bookmarks. Therefore it makes documents
sharing information with each other via links much harder to manage.

b) If a bookmark with the same name as the one being linked too already
exists in the file then the bookmark isn't copied over; it should at least
pick a bookmark name at 'random' for the new bookmark in the target file, for
consistency reasons, if nothing else. Otherwise, why the change from 2000?

c) Even when the source text doesn't contain a bookmark, the process of
creating the link adds one to the source document (which is OK obviously) and
this too is copied as a bookmark entry into the target document (which isn't,
IMHO).

Thanks anyway though, guess I'll just have to live with it. Or delete the
bookmarks as they get copied over...

--

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?QW5keUJlYXI=?=,

[...]

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?QW5keUJlYXI=?=,

c) Even when the source text doesn't contain a bookmark, the process of
creating the link adds one to the source document (which is OK obviously) and
this too is copied as a bookmark entry into the target document (which isn't,
IMHO).

OK, now I see what you're talking about. It's the OLE_Link bookmarks, right?

Yes, displaying these in the target document is new behavior, and I suspect the
reason for it is so that you KNOW there's a link to an outside file. Part of the
new Security measures MS implemented in Word 2003...

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Links within a Word document Cindy Microsoft Word Help 7 August 26th 05 12:33 AM
Templates gman Page Layout 17 April 22nd 05 06:35 PM
How do I stop format changes from changing the whole document in . Patricia Microsoft Word Help 1 April 11th 05 05:06 PM
Lock portion of the document after inserting bookmarks Sesame Microsoft Word Help 2 December 7th 04 04:49 AM
how do i change manage css links to start of document salliedee Microsoft Word Help 1 November 26th 04 11:05 PM