Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hueffmea hueffmea is offline

Default How can I use outline headings as the fields for a Mail Merge?

I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make labels out of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

That cannot be done directly with mail merge. It should however be possible
to use a macro to either create a data source that contained the headings or
transferred them directly to a label type template.

How many levels of headings are involved? Do they have to appear on the
labels in the order in which they appear in the document, or, assuming that
there are multiple levels, could all of the Heading 1's appear on the labels
together, followed by all of the Heading 2's etc.?
Are the heading numbers required to appear on the labels as well, or just
the text of the heading?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"hueffmea" wrote in message
I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make labels out
of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hueffmea hueffmea is offline

First off, thank you for taking the time to reply. Secondly, those are
excellent questions.

The very first heading is the name of the project. That must show up at the
top of each label.

The labels are no more than 5 headings deep.

The headings follow this format
(Heading 1) Name of Project
(Heading 2) 1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
(Heading 3) 1.1 Correspondence from 2008
(Heading 4) 1.1.1 Correspondence from January 2008
(Heading 2) 2 PRE-COMMITMENT PROJECT REVIEW
(Heading 3) 2.1 Project Application
(Heading 4) 2.1.1 Formal Application

One of the issues Im having is that we dont know how many of each heading
there will be. For example.
(Heading 2) 1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
(Heading 3) 1.1 Correspondence from 2006
(Heading 3) 1.2 Correspondence from 2007
(Heading 3) 1.3 Correspondence from 2008
(Heading 2) 2 PRE-COMMITMENT PROJECT REVIEW

In this case there is no Heading 4 and there are multiple Headings 3s.

The labels must have this format:
Label #1
Name of Project
1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE (in bold)

Label #2
Name of Project
1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE (no longer in bold)
1.1 Correspondence from 2008 (in bold)

Label #3
Name of Project
1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
1.2 Correspondence from 2007 (in bold)

Label #4
Name of Project
1.2 Correspondence from 2007 (no longer in bold)
1.2.1 Correspondence from Jackie (in bold)

Label #5
Name of Project
1 GENERAL CORRESPONDENCE
1.3 Correspondence from 2008 (in bold)

As you can see in all instances the bottom is bold.
Each label has the lowest level of Heading shown below its parent level.
Ive been trying to figure this one out for two weeks.
Any continuing help would be greatly appreciated.

"hueffmea" wrote in message
I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make labels out
of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hueffmea hueffmea is offline

I sent you an email with two documents attached. The first was the list as I
get it, and the second was the labels I am creating. Please let me know if
you had any difficulty in receiving them.

"hueffmea" wrote in message
I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make labels
out
of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

A macro containing the following code will create a document that you sent
to me that contains a table that could be used as a data source for a label
type mail merge. With a bit more work, it could be made to create the
labels directly. Note that there was one irregularity with the numbering in
the file that you sent me that I had to manually adjust to get this to work
correctly - that irregularity was a period after the first level 4

Dim Source As Document, Target As Document
Dim STable As Table, TTable As Table
Dim srange As Range, num As Range
Dim Project As String
Dim Line2 As String, Line3 As String, Line4 As String, Line5 As String,
Line6 As String
Dim Flag As String
Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long
Dim TRow As Row

Set Source = ActiveDocument
Selection.Find.Replacement.ClearFormatting
With Selection.Find
.Text = "^13{1,}"
.Replacement.Text = "^p"
.Forward = True
.Wrap = wdFindContinue
.MatchWildcards = True
End With
Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
Set srange = Source.Range
srange.start = srange.start + InStr(srange, "Project")
Set srange = srange.Paragraphs(1).Range
srange.start = srange.start + InStr(srange, "[")
srange.End = srange.End - 2
Project = srange.Text
Source.ConvertNumbersToText
Set srange = Source.Range
srange.start = srange.Paragraphs(2).Range.start
srange.start = srange.start + InStr(srange, "MASTER FILE LIST")
srange.start = srange.Paragraphs(2).Range.start
For i = 1 To srange.Paragraphs.Count
Set num = srange.Paragraphs(i).Range
num.End = num.start + InStr(num, vbTab)
j = 0
For k = 1 To Len(num)
If num.Characters(k) = "." Then
j = j + 1
End If
Next k
For k = 1 To j
num.InsertBefore vbTab
Next k
Next i
srange.ConvertToTable vbTab
Set STable = srange.Tables(1)
Set Target = Documents.Add
Set TTable = Target.Tables.Add(Target.Range, 1, 1)
With STable
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
With .Rows(i)
If Len(.Cells(1).Range) 2 Then
Set srange = .Cells(1).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line2 = srange.Text & vbTab
Set srange = .Cells(2).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line2 = Line2 & srange.Text
TTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = Project & vbCr & Line2
TTable.Rows.Add
ElseIf Len(.Cells(2).Range) 2 Then
Set srange = .Cells(2).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line3 = srange.Text & vbTab
Set srange = .Cells(3).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line3 = Line3 & srange.Text
TTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = Project & vbCr & Line2 & vbCr
& Line3
TTable.Rows.Add
ElseIf Len(.Cells(3).Range) 2 Then
Set srange = .Cells(3).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line4 = srange.Text & vbTab
Set srange = .Cells(4).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line4 = Line4 & srange.Text
TTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = Project & vbCr & Line3 & vbCr
& Line4
TTable.Rows.Add
ElseIf Len(.Cells(4).Range) 2 Then
Set srange = .Cells(4).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line5 = srange.Text & vbTab
Set srange = .Cells(5).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line5 = Line5 & srange.Text
TTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = Project & vbCr & Line4 & vbCr
& Line5
TTable.Rows.Add
ElseIf STable.Columns.Count 5 Then
Set srange = .Cells(5).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line6 = srange.Text & vbTab
Set srange = .Cells(6).Range
srange.End = srange.End - 1
Line6 = Line6 & srange.Text
TTable.Cell(i, 1).Range.Text = Project & vbCr & Line5 & vbCr
& Line6
TTable.Rows.Add
End If
End With
Next i
End With
With TTable
For i = 1 To .Rows.Count
With .Cell(i, 1).Range
.Paragraphs(.Paragraphs.Count).Range.Font.Bold = True
End With
Next i
End With

--

"hueffmea" wrote in message
I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make
labels
out
of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hueffmea hueffmea is offline

I ran the script and I get an Invalid Outside Procedure error code at
Set Source = ActiveDocument

It looks to me as if it's not orphaned, but then to say I'm new to VB is an
understatement.

Can you tell me what I might be doing wrong?

"hueffmea" wrote in message
I receive documents with outline formating, and I want to make
labels
out
of
the headings. How can I do that with a mail merge?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
hueffmea hueffmea is offline

Oddly enough, even though putting Sub at the top didn't seem to work, putting
public Sub did. I now have the list, and am working on figuring out how to
get it into the avery 5262 label template. Incidentally how much is your
consulting fee for something like this?